Intel Kaby Lake HD Graphics 620 OpenGL/Vulkan Performance On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Kaby Lake HD Graphics 620 OpenGL/Vulkan Performance On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Kaby Lake HD Graphics 620 OpenGL/Vulkan Performance On Linux

Now having my initial Intel Kaby Lake Core i5-7200U MSI Cubi 2 benchmarks with Ubuntu 16.10 out of the way, this second article is focusing upon the HD Graphics 620 Kaby Lake performance with this latest stable Ubuntu release as well as when trying out Linux 4.9 and Mesa 13.1-dev.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just do not try to compare it on gaming vs PS4 PRO which cost the same

It is not gaming device but it can do something of course, if user starts from lowest settings and see what can be enabled per game, as that is how it goes with iGPUs

There are couple videos on Windows how this HD 620 should go:

A channel looking in to PC hardware, performance and testing.

Comment

"Just do not try to compare it on gaming vs PS4 PRO which cost the same "

As for comparisons between game consoles that are only "cheap" because they get you to pay too much for poorly produced games and that don't actually run Linux... well, I think the argument writes itself.

Comment

Funny, I have a machine with exactly this chip in it in front of me. I wouldn't consider it for playing games with it though, as it's an ultrabook. I love the battery life though.

Comment

I'm still trying to understand the difference between the Iris graphics in Skylake and HD graphics in Kaby Lake. Perhaps someone
          with the Gen6 Iris could run the benchmark suite for comparison.

Comment

Yes, the (only ?) interesting item is missing: a comparison with the equivalent i5 6200U. From what I read elsewhere, the new one is much better due to more efficiency = it can do a lot more at its low TDP level.

Comment

Originally posted by kmand View Post
              I'm still trying to understand the difference between the Iris graphics in Skylake and HD graphics in Kaby Lake. Perhaps someone
              with the Gen6 Iris could run the benchmark suite for comparison.
              Probably just tow things make most difference, that are more EUs and eventualy if it has eDRAM, where first means more graphics possibile and second to not be bandwidth bound.

Comment

Or just look at GFLOPS value, that represents sort of raw power:

Fastest there is Iris Pro Graphics 580 with 1152 GFLOPS and this one HD 620 is at about ~400 GFLOPS.

Comment

That is on hardware side and on area of software that is in usual unknown area of neverending fun, thus we need benchmarks .

Comment

on the dota benchmarks. what are the settings? highest? lowest?

Comment

Working...
                    X