No announcement yet.

Intel Sends In First Graphics Driver Changes For Linux 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really have to agree. I've had a good 10 years worth of laptops with Intel GPUs ( all bought by employers - I swear to God I'll never buy anything with an Intel GPU ), and they've been an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. My current one ( brand new Dell Latitude E7270 with an Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) loses all outputs when I unplug from the dock ( I guess it's DisplayPort or something, I don't know ). I'm used to building X, xf86-video-intel, mesa and friends from git in the hope that bleeding-edge code will start knocking off critical issues. 10 years and counting ...

Comment

I've been reading all the skylake dramas from a Haswell asus ultrabook. I only got it a year or so ago, so relatively late and there was some initial teething issues but were resolved quickly on debian unstable, lucky maybe.
      Before this I tried a couple of AMD laptops that had grief with power usage and hotkeys and before that an intel atom asus eeepc that was pretty flawless when I got it (~2007). Everything I read said Intel for best support and that matched my experience so I bought the asus ultrabook.

I'm tempted to replace the Haswell in a few months, but I can't bring myself to buy with nvidia onboard.
      Is there any update on Zen or relative laptop model? The mesa progress on AMD has been commendable and I wonder how it's going to pan out...

Comment

Working...
      X