Intel Sandy Bridge Graphics Haven't Gotten Faster In Recent Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    You're watching too globally. If you have had a notebook with such a hardware, would you just throw it away because "the GPU is a turd"? I didn't have SandyBridge, but I have an older one (with X3100 GPU), and though I'm not using it anymore, I'd be pretty much glad if once upon a time for I need it, I'd discover the driver got better.

What's the usecase? Well, e.g. to entertain a girlfriend whilst I'm busy.
    Sandy bridge provides a really awful performance on Linux (for gaming). What kind of functionality would you expect to work better if the drivers had more punch? Like any particular games? Flash? Web browsers? I'm a bit confused.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Sandy bridge provides a really awful performance on Linux (for gaming). What kind of functionality would you expect to work better if the drivers had more punch? Like any particular games? Flash? Web browsers? I'm a bit confused.
      She usually plays Flash games, plus I'm using a bunch of fancies on that notebook to make it pretty. So, Flash and whatever part of OpenGL kwin or compiz are using.

But ATM the notebook have no HDD, and I broke up with that girlfriend :Ь

Comment

Consider yourself lucky it's still running on the latest kernels. Intel pretty much abandoned the hardware on both Windows and Linux: https://communities.intel.com/thread/61432

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post
          I would be happy if stuck on render/blitter ring bug was resolved that is going on for years!

http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54226
          That bug looks familiar, I ran into that bug (or something very similar) on an old desktop system. Because the bug hadn't been solved for years I 'fixed' it by putting a cheap AMD card in that system, it's been running fine since. It's a shame that something like that still isn't fixed after all this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
            You're watching too globally. If you have had a notebook with such a hardware, would you just throw it away because "the GPU is a turd"?
            No, I'd keep doing whatever it was tasked to do even before: desktop compositing, some 2D gaming. Retrogaming.
            Sandy bridge GPU is 100% fine to do that already.
            Even if it received improvements it won't be able to do much more than that because the hardware is what it is.

You're probably forgetting that Sandy was still in the times when iGPUs were crap and devices with only iGPUs were office machines. The first "gaming-worthy" iGPU (please forgive me true gamers, I mean "the first iGPU that showed you could actually play some relatively modern games on iGPUs if you pull down settings") was the HD4000.

What's the usecase? Well, e.g. to entertain a girlfriend whilst I'm busy.
            How about a dog?

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
              Consider yourself lucky it's still running on the latest kernels. Intel pretty much abandoned the hardware on both Windows and Linux: https://communities.intel.com/thread/61432
              Thanks, that was an interesting read.

Comment

Games aren't everything you know, some of us do 3D application development on Linux and have laptops with Sandy Bridge graphics cards. At least I did until my laptop was stolen two months ago. You know, I used to be the same, thinking that legacy hardware should be dropped. But the reality is that not everyone can run out and buy a new laptop every three years. My last laptop was a Macbook Pro. I can't really justify dropping that level of money on a new laptop right now, and since the Australian dollar has dropped against the US dollar by 25% the price of Apple laptops has shot up.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  Games aren't everything you know, some of us do 3D application development on Linux and have laptops with Sandy Bridge graphics cards. At least I did until my laptop was stolen two months ago. You know, I used to be the same, thinking that legacy hardware should be dropped. But the reality is that not everyone can run out and buy a new laptop every three years.
                  None said Sandy should be "dropped". We are just saying that it's maxed out and what little peformance you can pull from it is not worth the development time.

My last laptop was a Macbook Pro. I can't really justify dropping that level of money on a new laptop right now, and since the Australian dollar has dropped against the US dollar by 25% the price of Apple laptops has shot up.
                  If you buy a non-Apple laptop the chances of it getting stolen drop by a few orders of magnitude (not kidding, Apple stuff sells DAMN WELL even used), also you get around 100% more bang for your buck.

Comment

There is no what to improve in openarena 0.8.8, it is mostly mem bandwidth cap there.

One can improve that only if he break bloom reflection

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                      Games aren't everything you know, some of us do 3D application development on Linux and have laptops with Sandy Bridge graphics cards. At least I did until my laptop was stolen two months ago. You know, I used to be the same, thinking that legacy hardware should be dropped. But the reality is that not everyone can run out and buy a new laptop every three years. My last laptop was a Macbook Pro. I can't really justify dropping that level of money on a new laptop right now, and since the Australian dollar has dropped against the US dollar by 25% the price of Apple laptops has shot up.
                      Dude... Duude..... Duuuude........ A new laptop with i7 and skylake graphics is like 300 bucks, maybe even cheaper if you can find good deals. You can even buy a used one with nvidia graphics for same price, that would be at least a few times higher 3D performance. If you cant save that much in 3 years, then :

1) You will not survive.
                      2) You are not doing work, you just follow noob tutorials on how to initialize opengl window, thats all your so called "3D application development".
                      3) Prove that SB performance can be increased and increase it yourself, there is source code available.

Comment

Working...
                      X