Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL ES 3.1 Comes For Intel Haswell On Mesa

Phoronix: OpenGL ES 3.1 Comes For Intel Haswell On Mesa

For those running Intel Haswell processors, hope is not lost in seeing new versions of OpenGL extensions with the Intel Mesa driver. New patches will bring Haswell up to OpenGL ES 3.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I believe this was also the last bit needed for GL 4.5 support on Haswell, other than the fp64 work that's currently being reviewed on the mailing list.

Comment

Oh great.
      Checked mailing list for this. Didn't realise needed for 4.5.
      Good to hear fp64 under review.

Comment

Could somebody enlighten me on where ES could be useful over regular OpenGL?

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
          Smartphones

Comment

WebGL afaik is a JavaScript clone of OpenGL ES. But WebGL sucks because buffers are swapped in software, for now at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post

Smartphones
              As somebody who uses OpenGL ES, it is very nice to have it available on desktop platforms as well. While technically ES is pretty close to core profile, direct portability is a godsend. Most Haswells are a hell of a lot faster than most mobile GPUs, excellent for prototyping.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post

Smartphones
                I get that, but there are no smartphones with Haswell. As the guy above mentions I guess it's nice to have for prototyping.

Comment

It seems for most wayland applications, or compositors, as OpenGL libraries have an awful lot of Xorg-specific code.

Anyway, GL ES is slimmer than GL, it should be faster. For most applications that don't need hardcore 3D stuff (i.e. a DE) it's more than enough.

Also for interoperatibility, someone can develop an application for mobile (tablets or mediacenters, more than smartphones) and it can use the same GL ES on linux too.

Also for interoperatibility 2, so you can run Android applications on linux without the stupidity of a graphics wrapper, OR you can rebase Android on a desktop linux kernel to run it on a desktop PC (there are a couple of projects that do this), and yes there you need GL ES.

Comment

I get that, but there are no smartphones with Haswell.
                    there are tablets at least

Comment

Working...
                    X