Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu & Debian Abandon Intel X.Org Driver For Most Hardware, Moves To Modesetting DDX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post
    Latest Xubuntu + Comptopn on HD4000 = tearing with Modesetting.
    Me too, HD4000 tearing horribly with modesetting on a fresh install of DebianSid/XFCE. Does anyone know if modesetting is even supposed to not tear on modern Intel GPUs? The last time I asked about Intel GPU tearing (2 years ago), the answer was that tearing is a GPU hardware feature of SandyBridge onwards and the only non-tearing setup was either xf86-video-intel+TearFree or using a GLX page flipping compositor + DRI3/Present + MESA with buffer_age (and those patches hadn't been merged yet).

Someday it would be nice to install a modern Linux distribution and not have to worry about tearing, a problem that was solved decades ago on other platforms...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post

Me too, HD4000 tearing horribly with modesetting on a fresh install of DebianSid/XFCE. Does anyone know if modesetting is even supposed to not tear on modern Intel GPUs? The last time I asked about Intel GPU tearing (2 years ago), the answer was that tearing is a GPU hardware feature of SandyBridge onwards and the only non-tearing setup was either xf86-video-intel+TearFree or using a GLX page flipping compositor + DRI3/Present + MESA with buffer_age (and those patches hadn't been merged yet).

Someday it would be nice to install a modern Linux distribution and not have to worry about tearing, a problem that was solved decades ago on other platforms...
      That's not true at all. Intel's proprietary driver on windows tears just as bad. Evey icon, every video, every scroll,.... It's horrible and it's been this way for years. I never could understand how people could deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        That's not true at all. Intel's proprietary driver on windows tears just as bad. Evey icon, every video, every scroll,.... It's horrible and it's been this way for years. I never could understand how people could deal with it.
        I've never seen that on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Yeah, all decisions taken by mantainers must be because they are haters, or because users are haters, nice logic there.
          If it was like that none would have adopted systemd or pulseaudio in their distro.
          Well hating or not, you can't have both in the same time, so one must be default

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            well hating or not, you can't have both in the same time, so one must be default
            asdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdas dasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasda sdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasd asdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdas dasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasda sdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasd asdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdas dasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasda sdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasd asdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdas dasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasd

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I hope that soon all drivers are ported over to DRI3 so that DRI2 can stripped from the code base in order to slim it down.
              Yeah, we get it. There's no need to mention it in every graphics-related news topic/thread. If it really bothers you so much, build your own X and enable only the options you want.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                asdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdas dasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasda sdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasd asdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdas dasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasda sdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasd asdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdas dasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasda sdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasd asdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdas dasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasdasd
                Both for you

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I have a Haswell on my desktop computer. I never experienced any issues.
                  What is all these bugs you're talking about?
                  I have a Haswell laptop here (i7-4500U).
                  The most severe problems I have encountered have been kernel issues, 4.0+ is stable(ish) though.
                  DRI3 hasn't worked well for me (extreme choppiness and/or drawing issues) and sna had bad performance with TearFree IIRC.
                  uxa+DRI2+TearFree works reasonably well for now.
                  Xorg crashes, freezes or glitches at least once a month, which is not ideal, but usable.

(I'm not using bleeding edge mesa, kernel and xorg right now. xorg=1.17.2)

Edit: have yet to try modesetting, but I'm not in an adventurous mood right now.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
                    (I'm not using bleeding edge mesa, kernel and xorg right now. xorg=1.17.2)

Edit: have yet to try modesetting, but I'm not in an adventurous mood right now.
                    dont try on 1.17. since modesettings is released as part of xorg server, everything that is not current (1.18.4) isnt good to use. especially the 1.17 series...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      Yeah, we get it. There's no need to mention it in every graphics-related news topic/thread. If it really bothers you so much, build your own X and enable only the options you want.
                      it's unlikely he even understands what he wrote means. It's not like dropping all DRI2 support will make any kind of effect on X.

It does make a significant effect on developer time spent on maintaining it, but that does not instantly translate to "turbodeveloper mode ON!" on everything else.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 24 July 2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X