No announcement yet.

95 Patches Ready The Intel Mesa Driver For OpenGL 4 On Haswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it work on Bay Trail too? It is gen7 but it is closer to Ivy Bridge than Haswell. Sadly nobody talks about Bay Trail. (Linux support is pretty bad for Bay Trail, audio and eMMC issues too…)

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
      Linux wasn't considered a viable gaming platform a few years back.
      And Intel is well knows for there gaming gpus .

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        And Intel is well knows for there gaming gpus .
        Then what are you complaining at? Intel GPUs worked fine for office work, it's not like libreoffice needs OpenGL 4.x

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Then what are you complaining at?
          Missing features that are shipped years after the release.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
            I think that all this goes in the right way, no need to whine about the past. They fill the gap and should be thanked for that.
            Hopefully they will make BayTrail at least usable.
            Then what are you complaining at? Intel GPUs worked fine for office work, it's not like libreoffice needs OpenGL 4.x
            Except BayTrail is hang all the time because of few critical issues that doesn't get fixed for years. So millions of BayTrail devices is not suitable for office work, at least not with Linux and excellent Intel's open source drivers.

Comment

No hope for a Sandybridge I assume.....

Comment

Agreed. I've been using my haswell laptop for work for a while, and it has been fine. It doesn't currently support GL 4.0, but that doesn't stop me from doing my job.

Power management works, composited desktop is functional, and it's been fairly reliable/stable (docking/undocking the multimonitor setup confuses either the GPU or gnome).

I'm looking forward to having fp64, only because it'll expose GL 4.x, but given that OpenGL uses an extension model in which most of the GL 4.x functionality is already exposed in GL3.3 core contexts, I don't see much issue with lacking declared GL 4.0 support for a while.

Mesa has been playing catch-up with GL versions for so long, that the increasing number of people complaining recently that we are only a few point releases behind for broadwell/radeonsi/nouveau is really annoying. Radeon/Nouveau/i965_gen8+ are only lacking a single extension to be able to declare GL 4.5 support (at least for intel). The patches for the last piece of enhanced layouts support are on the list, and they're probably going to be merged soon.

Once we've got GL 4.5 exposed for current intel hardware, and Haswell/Ivy have GL 4.0 (and whatever the hardware supports), what are people going to complain about next?

At the moment, the AMD guys seem to mostly be focused on gallium/tgsi/driver performance improvements (along with Christian K and Boyuan Zhang working video decode/encode). I'm guessing the AMD vulkan support is being worked on behind the scenes...

We're really getting into a position where regardless of Intel/AMD choice, the open-source video driver support is nothing to scoff at. It runs at almost equivalent performance to the closed drivers, and we're almost at GL feature parity.... and I couldn't care less about cross-fire support (especially with vulkan redefining how multi-card rendering will work).

EDIT: I'll concede that Bay Trail and other generations could use stability improvements. I don't own one, but that doesn't mean that they don't have issues. Whether that's a kernel issue or mesa, I couldn't say.
                Last edited by Veerappan; 19 July 2016, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  No hope for a Sandybridge I assume.....
                  Sandybridge isn't likely to get GL 4.x. It has no hardware tessellation support, so that would all have to be emulated. Double precision would have to be emulated. There are a couple of transform feedback things that I think would have to be done slowly.

It might be a neat community project, but I'm not sure how feasible it is, or how useful the result would be.

Ivybridge is Intel's first GL 4.x class GPU.
                  Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                  Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                    Will it work on Bay Trail too? It is gen7 but it is closer to Ivy Bridge than Haswell. Sadly nobody talks about Bay Trail. (Linux support is pretty bad for Bay Trail, audio and eMMC issues too…)
                    Not yet - Ivybridge and Baytrail have additional quirks that require more workarounds. This implements the bulk of the work, though. Ivybridge/Baytrail will probably come soon after this.
                    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Wuhuuu finally. Thx Intel !!

Comment

Working...
                      X