Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Patches Ready The Intel Mesa Driver For OpenGL 4 On Haswell

Phoronix: 95 Patches Ready The Intel Mesa Driver For OpenGL 4 On Haswell

Iago Toral Quiroga of Igalia has published a set of 95 patches that make the i965 Mesa DRI driver in a state for exposing OpenGL 4.0 for Haswell hardware by wiring in the ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very happy about this!
    Thanks intel.

Comment

I love this part:
      [...] accessing components Z/W in a dvec4 is still not trivial, it would require some work and probably also instruction splitting to avoid violating register region restrictions. Instead, we take advantage of a gen7 hardware decompression bug that allows us to implement Z/W swizzles without requiring instruction splitting.

Comment

Originally posted by g7RbdHRt View Post
        Very happy about this!
        Thanks intel.
        yes, but the bitter taste is, that the cpu generation is 3 years old ...

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          yes, but the bitter taste is, that the cpu generation is 3 years old ...
          Yes, but the newer GPUs are improvements of the same, this eventually leads to launch-day full support.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Millions of people own 3 years old CPUs.
            FIXED : Hundreds millions of people own 3 years old CPUs

Comment

I always own old PCs. I got my first PC on 1996. Since then, I haven't bought many PCs. Always use them 7 years or more so I don't like to see companies stopping support so early. I like how AMD is putting effort to support GCN 1.0 and 1.1 cards.
              My current processor is Intel Haswell. This is very good news for me!
              And like someone has said above, this is an improvement that could bring launch-day full support on future.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Millions of people own 3 years old CPUs.
                And the point is, this should all available at release and not 3 years later.

Comment

Well concerning graphics Intel is like AMD (ATI), they now put a lot of effort on Linux but only since a few years, so they start from far away.
                  I think that all this goes in the right way, no need to whine about the past. They fill the gap and should be thanked for that.

Comment

As said above, if they support fully all their GPUs then the newer ones, that aren't totally new and completely different designs, will get day1 support as most of the leg work of the driver is already done.

Comment

Working...
                    X