Trying Various OpenGL 4.x Games On Linux With An Intel Skylake Core i5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Various OpenGL 4.x Games On Linux With An Intel Skylake Core i5

Phoronix: Trying Various OpenGL 4.x Games On Linux With An Intel Skylake Core i5

With the imminent Mesa 12.0 release there is now OpenGL 4.3 compliance for Intel Broadwell graphics hardware and newer, rather than OpenGL 3.3 as was the upper limit in the Intel Mesa driver to this point. Now having OpenGL 4.x support with this open-source Intel driver, I decided to see how various OpenGL 4.x games are running with the Intel driver when using a Skylake CPU sporting HD Graphics 530...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

you should make a comparison of the Integrated Graphics for both Intel and AMD...Just Saying...

Comment

I'm honestly surprised its doing that well on a relatively wide range of games.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        My whole A8-7600 pc did cost almost the same as i5 6600k cpu only
        Yeah, you're lying unless you bought a motherboard, case, power supply, RAM, and disks for $130 or so.
        Even then the 6600K is actually still cost effective given its CPU performance advantage [which is absolutely massive] and the fact that you can actually add a real GPU that won't be throttled later on.

Comment

...but not with any decent frame-rates
          50fps is totally decent to me. I still remember when 30fps was pretty good, so maybe I'm more tolerant to low FPS values.

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          Yeah, you're lying unless you bought a motherboard, case, power supply, RAM, and disks for $130 or so.
          Not sure where he bought the PC, but a i5-6600K costs 250€ over here. The A8-7600 costs 77€, so it's totally plausible, at least in Europe, and he said "almost", so it really depends on each person's definition of "almost".

Comment

Even then the 6600K is actually still cost effective given its CPU performance advantage [which is absolutely massive] and the fact that you can actually add a real GPU that won't be throttled later on.
            Just priced it out myself on Newegg. Definitely possible. 6600K normally costs $254.99, my build came in at 249.94. I could definitely have shaved cost off too. Went with 8 gigs of DDR3 2400 ram, but could have gone cheaper and went for 4 gigs of 2133. Also, could have gotten a cheap case/power supply combo, but went relatively splurge on the case. Also, 120 gig SSD. Although, I suppose the SSD doesn't cost any more than an HD does these days.

Comment

I agree about the "do some benchmarks of Intel vs AMD iGPUs" idea.

That cpu sells for 250$, so unless you saw it used on Ebay, that's invalid. for 250-300$ you can get a pretty decent APU system.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 22 June 2016, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

50fps is totally decent to me. I still remember when 30fps was pretty good, so maybe I'm more tolerant to low FPS values.
                Michael used to run Open Arena @ 960 fps, so 30 fps may seems choppy for him

Comment

Even 60fps is choppy. Rven 200fps on a 60hz monitor is choppy it hurts my eyes so slow it is. But monitors are too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                    Tomb Raider, 720p, low settings, AMD 7850K (iGPU runs at 720 MHz): 32 FPS

iGPU in 7850K has higher theoretical performance than iGPU in 6600K, so when Mesa's implementation of the OpenGL interface receives (many) new optimizations the 7850K should be able to reach 50 FPS in the benchmark.

Update: Interestingly, putting the CPU in powersave mode (1.7 GHz) has no effect on FPS in the Tomb Raider benchmark. Radeontop reports iGPU usage is 100%.
                    AMDs APUs are memory starved; they'll never reach peak performance. That's the downside of APUs: They need more data then the memory bus can provide.

Comment

Working...
                    X