Intel Is Insanely Close To Showing Off OpenGL 4.5 With Their Mesa Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Is Insanely Close To Showing Off OpenGL 4.5 With Their Mesa Driver

Phoronix: Intel Is Insanely Close To Showing Off OpenGL 4.5 With Their Mesa Driver

It could really be any day now that the Intel i965 Mesa DRI driver exposes OpenGL 4.5 support!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess we should offer congratulations that a multi-gazillion dollar company managed to implement support two years late.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      I guess we should offer congratulations that a multi-gazillion dollar company managed to implement support two years late.
      Yes, we should congratulate real people for getting all the work they had to do once their company finally decided to put more resources towards their team.
      We went from having openGL 3.3 to almost 4.5 in a rather quick time.

You should always support good behavior and not just continually snark at companies for past behavior if it's obvious how much the've improved.

Comment

Yes. Great to see.
        ​​​​​ Well said lunar cloud.

Comment

Insanely close is a good choice of words when you want to describe the love between two siblings, who are also having sex with each other. This is when you can say they are insanely close. But to describe a time duration as insanely close escapes my comprehension.

We already measure time in nanoseconds and Intel might still need a few more days.

I came to read about insanity, but I don't see any insanity here. The article fails to deliver.

Comment

Yawn. I still can't view a web page without it flashing insanely. Nor can I connect a VGA monitor without a kernel oops.

Comment

-QUOTE=dkasak;n878840]Yawn. I still can't view a web page without it flashing insanely. Nor can I connect a VGA monitor without a kernel oops.[/QUOTE]

Something must be wrong with your boxen. I have wonderful experiences with Intel drivers on a Toshiba Core-i3 IvyBridge laptop and a Intel Core-i3 Broadwell NUC.

No flashing browsing the web (Using Chrome) and of my three monitors is using VGA connection without a single issue.

These machines are running Fedora 23 with all updates. Including functioning VA-API, VDPAU support.

Comment

Noob question here: once core mesa has OpenGL 4.5 how much time/effort will it take for the Radeon driver to catch up?

Comment

Remaining 4.5 work...

intel (gen8/9)
                  4.4 enhanced_layouts (patches out)

intel (gen 7/7.5)
                  4.0/4.1 fp64
                  4.3 ARB_stencil_texturing
                  4.4 texture_stencil8
                  4.4 query_buffer_object (needed on gen 7 only, 7.5 is done)
                  4.4 enhanced_layouts
                  4.5 ES3_1_compatibility (needs stencil_texturing from 4.3)

radeonsi
                  4.4 clear_texture
                  4.4 query_buffer_object
                  4.4 enhanced_layouts
                  4.5 cull_distance
                  4.5 KHR_robustness

r600
                  4.0/4.1 fp64 softfloat
                  4.2 atomic counters
                  4.2/4.3 image _load_store and _size
                  4.3 shader_storage_buffer_object
                  4.3 compute shaders
                  4.3 robust_buffer_access_behavior
                  4.4 clear_texture
                  4.4 query_buffer_object
                  4.4 enhanced_layouts
                  4.5 cull_distance
                  4.5 KHR_robustness

Comment

Is what is intel gen7/7.5 and what is gen 8/9?
                    I have a haswell chip and I know it is generally referred to as 4th gen core-i processors, and I know Broadwell is 5th gen core-i processors.
                    But I feel like that is unrelated to the gens in that table.

Comment

Working...
                    X