No announcement yet.

Intel SNA vs. Modesetting GLAMOR - DDX Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On most of my hardware I use modesetting, except one tablet that need to be connected to external display via DisplayLink-powered dock station. For some reason combination modesetting + DisplayLink driver + Blink-based browser, is slow as hell. Everything else seems like works just fine.

Comment

SNA has never been the most stable DDX and there have always been some graphical glitches (especially in obscure setups), but on the other hand, it has always been fastest DDX on intel hardware. Reverting to EXA backend of xf86-video-intel generally fixes most problems people have and EXA is still faster than modesetting (or at least it used to be last time I tried).

Main advantage of modesetting is that it "just works" everywhere. Anyways, if you have intel hw that isn't too old (sandy bridge is 8 years old now or something), you should probably be using SNA. And if you have troubles with it, contact Chris Willson of intel on freedesktop bugzilla, that guy wrote most of SNA I believe and fixed all my bugs in timespans of hours from being reported (I ran nightly updated git tree of xf86-video-intel for years).

Comment

you need to manually enable DRI3 in xorg.conf to avoid tearing under Gnome with SNA, but that's not too hard to do

Comment

What is the point of testing 3D stuff here? Isn't GLAMOR and co 2D acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
            you need to manually enable DRI3 in xorg.conf to avoid tearing under Gnome with SNA, but that's not too hard to do
            Any test case to force tearing? I've got Gnome + SNA + DRI2 on Broadwell with no tearing.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              What is the point of testing 3D stuff here? Isn't GLAMOR and co 2D acceleration?
              Kinda sorta. Glamor is 2D over OpenGL, so it's gonna hit some 3D stuff. Plus this is how rendered images wind up actually on the screen, so if one path is slower, then thats good to know.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Well yes GLAMOR uses the 3D part of the card, but I believe it is not used for 3D itself.
                As for the final image rendering, isn't it bypassing the 2D acceleration code anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Because the SNA architecture has been finely tuned and is known to be basically stable? Modesetting is still under development. I'll be happy when everyone's switched over too, but the developers have decided we're not there quite yet.
                  NSA has issues with resuming from suspend...so I'm told!!!!...from someone on this site...

Edit: also, sna STILL isn't the "official" default, IIRC.

EditEdit: Dammit! SNA NOT NSA! Don't worry Luke, no one's cracked your impenetrable setup. Just keep organizing the Resistance
                  Last edited by liam; 20 May 2016, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

NSA has issues with resuming from suspend...so I'm told!!!!...from someone on this site...

Edit: also, sna STILL isn't the "official" default, IIRC.

EditEdit: Dammit! SNA NOT NSA! Don't worry Guest, no one's cracked your impenetrable setup. Just keep organizing the Resistance
                    Given how complex SNA is said to be, I think there's good chances Glamor becomes good enough for all workloads before SNA becomes the default

Comment

The KODI and LibreELEC developers apparently are claiming that Intel developers would recommend to use xf86-video-modesetting instead of xf86-video-intel, see:

Thanks for the tip @fritsch apparently, the intel devs suggest using the modesetting driver + glamor Ubuntu 16.04 may ship with the modesetting driver + glamor I think I have done this correctly,...

And they are also recommending their users to stop using xf86-video-intel, see:

By the way:

What is the best way to check which DDX driver is currently in use?

Comment

Working...
                      X