X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blubbaer View Post
    They forgot "proper Haswell support".
    This driver still doesn't work on Haswell-GPUs
    If I'm not mistaken the item "Investigate CTS failures on HSW" acknowledges this

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
      Can somebody explain what Intel's Vulkan driver is doing in Mesa (which is, at least according to Wikipedia, supposed to be an open source OpenGL implementation)? Also, what code is there to share (with possible other Vulkan implementations) that would make it useful to be part of Mesa?
      mesa (as in src/mesa) is an open source opengl implementation. But mesa the git tree contains somewhat more (for example, gallium vdpau/vaapi/omx/dx9/etc state trackers).

In this case, the intel vulkan and gl drivers share NIR and i965 compiler backend. Which is a significant part of the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        It's like as if Intel is some dog arse outback remote IT company struggling. This is not acceptable for the top or leading manufacturer of CPU's and high revenue.

Even though Valkun is a fairly new protocol it's still unacceptable, especially consider Intel's slack works on OpenGL4 support and other poor coding issues for Linux graphics drivers.
        you forgot the </troll>

(or in case you were not actually intending to troll and really just don't understand open src and graphics driver development, adding a TODO is a perfectly natural thing to do.. and you can be sure that the closed src vulkan drivers also have a TODO list.. you just don't see it because it is closed.)

Comment

Soooooo much misinformation.

LunarG's driver is not Intel's driver. Intel's driver was written from scratch by Jason, Kristian, and Chad.

Intel's Vulkan driver is in Mesa because it uses NIR and the i965 backend compiler, just like the GLSL compiler does. New things that came from Vulkan are now starting to be used by the GL driver as well.

We actually demo'd Dota2 Vulkan running on our (Intel's) driver at GDC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsOTVpepS44

I really wish people would just ask questions on IRC instead of in this echo chamber of a forum.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
            LunarG's driver is not Intel's driver. Intel's driver was written from scratch by Jason, Kristian, and Chad.
            What was LunarG driver for? It was promoted everywhere like an Intel driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              Ask Valve, they've paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                Valve most likely wanted to have an vulkan implementation as soon as possible that they could test with, and they found that intel would be the easiest target to build against.

I bet that it eased the development for intel, amd and nvidia to have a example driver that was open source that they could look at before they started working on their own implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                  Valve most likely wanted to have an vulkan implementation as soon as possible that they could test with, and they found that intel would be the easiest target to build against.
                  Exactly. And more specifically, LunarG did a lot of work on the Vulkan validation layers which of course you need a driver for.

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                  I bet that it eased the development for intel, amd and nvidia to have a example driver that was open source that they could look at before they started working on their own implementation.
                  I'm not sure... maybe? FWIW, LunarG's driver actually used a lot of the i965 GL driver's code.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                    Ask Valve, they've paid for it.
                    I'd rather ask Intel why didn't they use that driver.

Comment

@mattst88

Is it possible to use Vulkan with Haswell for Source 2?

Comment

Working...
                      X