It's Easy Trying Out Intel's OpenGL 4.2 Mesa Driver On Ubuntu 16.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Easy Trying Out Intel's OpenGL 4.2 Mesa Driver On Ubuntu 16.04

Phoronix: It's Easy Trying Out Intel's OpenGL 4.2 Mesa Driver On Ubuntu 16.04

With today marking the milestone of Intel's Mesa driver jumping ahead to OpenGL 4.2 compliance after just yesterday hitting OpenGL 4.0, I decided to try out the Mesa Git code of the i965 driver on an Ubuntu 16.04 system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully a few more games will run.

Comment

Wondering if any backports will be available, for example to the 14.04 LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        Hopefully a few more games will run.
        I'd actually like to see any kind of list that shows which games will now be playable (or better which games require different opengl versions to run)

Comment

The easiest way to get recent mesa in any linux distribution(CentOS, Ubuntu, etc) is use my Gears on Gallium docker image or my Live CD.
          From docker you can run any native or wine games, pst tests with mesa\llvm git and are not afraid to break a working system.
          Gears on Gallium 2016.05.17 iso and docker images with mesa-git opengl 4.2 for intel and 4.3 for radeon with many fixes (gallium-nine, unreal tournament 4 GLSL 430)
          http://www.gearsongallium.com/?p=3143

Comment

Has anyone gotten SNOW (CryEngine 4th gen) to run on the open source drivers? It's not working on i965 (Skylake) or radeonsi (Tonga) for me which are exposing GL 4.2 & GL 4.3 (via an extra patch) respectively

It's a free game on steam and looks quite fun

SNOW - The Ultimate Edition is the only open world, winter sports game. Explore a massive mountain, customize your character with clothing and equipment, compete in events to be the best. Access to all mountains, tracks, events as well including all cosmetics, ski, snowboard, drone, and snowmobile.

Comment

Originally posted by ChronosHD View Post
              Wondering if any backports will be available, for example to the 14.04 LTS.
              The PPA also currently works with 14.04. I'd suggest to upgrade to 16.04, however.

Comment

Working...
              X