Intel Loses Another Longtime Open-Source Graphics Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Loses Another Longtime Open-Source Graphics Driver Developer

Phoronix: Intel Loses Another Longtime Open-Source Graphics Driver Developer

When working on the story this week about Intel Is Preparing A Major Restructuring Of Their Graphics Driver, I found out another bit of information worth relaying: a longtime contributor to the Intel Linux graphics driver stack has left the company to focus on a new venture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Haha, thanks Michael!

Comment

I think the people who write graphics drivers are wizards because it's all magic to me, so kudos to Jesse for his contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarnes View Post
        Haha, thanks Michael!

Thanks for all your hard work! Much appreciated!

Comment

Thanks jbarnes, and we hope to see more awesome free software from you in the future!

Comment

In a way this is sad for the Intel drivers but on the other hand if you are smart getting out of Intel might be a good idea. I suspect the recent layoffs are just a start and we could see Intel in as bad a shape as AMD. Yeah I know that is a little extreme but the computing world is changing rapidly and I don't think Intel has the management team in place to shake things up enough to make a difference.

Comment

i don't see any connection to restructuring. people sometimes take new jobs. i don't know what secret startup does, but work on the maching or upstreaming raspbery pi may be loss for intel, but gain for humans

Comment

As much as I like Intel's approach to open source, this doesn't look good, bleeding good developers like this. It is their leadership that needs to have their attitude readjusted or Intel's just going to continue to bleed, probably mostly through mobile where all the action is and ARM's the 500 lbs gorilla....

Comment

Just so people know, my departure was unrelated to the recent layoffs or pushback from management on projects. In fact, just before I left I had been working on kicking off a few new projects to really push the Linux stack into some new spaces. But ultimately I was offered a position I couldn't refuse; the company and tech are interesting to me, and I think there's a good chance of success. At some point we may be contributing back to the graphics stack indirectly (likely through the GPGPU compute side of things), but that's not the primary focus of our work.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X