No announcement yet.

Linux 4.7 Will Bring Intel Color Manager, Changes Needed For Vulkan On Haswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.7 Will Bring Intel Color Manager, Changes Needed For Vulkan On Haswell

Phoronix: Linux 4.7 Will Bring Intel Color Manager, Changes Needed For Vulkan On Haswell

While the Linux 4.6 kernel is still a number of weeks away from being released with the merge window only having recently closed, the Intel OTC developers responsible for the i915 DRM graphics driver have already begun aligning their first round of updates for DRM-Next to in turn target Linux 4.7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought Intel wasn't going to go back any further than Broadwell for Vulkan support? It's good news since I have a Haswell laptop.

Comment

Well some very basic things worked with kernel 4.4 and Haswell but there have been always regressions. I doubt that you can run Talos Principle in a reasonable time frame with any Intel GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Well some very basic things worked with kernel 4.4 and Haswell but there have been always regressions. I doubt that you can run Talos Principle in a reasonable time frame with any Intel GPU.
        Yeah, I'm running 4.6rc1 right now with the Intel Mesa Vulkan driver installed on my machine (compiled from yesterday's git). Simple things like vkcube work just fine, but there's a bunch of FINISHME-type warnings in the console when you run vulkan code. Although the number of warnings has been decreasing over time. And well, vkcube no longer hangs my machine, so that's good, right? (Haswell i7-4810MQ)

Comment

Maybe the color management could could be used by <a href="http://jonls.dk/redshift/">Redshift</a>?

Nice to see Haswell get Vulkan support.

Comment

So uhm... What about Vulkan on Ivy Bridge? Most of Sascha Willem's demos even work on ivy bridge (even though they are a lot brighter than on lunarg's unfinished driver, not sure which one is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Yeah, I'm running 4.6rc1 right now with the Intel Mesa Vulkan driver installed on my machine (compiled from yesterday's git). Simple things like vkcube work just fine[...](Haswell i7-4810MQ)
              Then it works better than on my own machine: vkcube is buggy on Broadwell with Arch Linux.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Interesting. Broadwell should have "proper" support and Haswell and Ivy Bridge only "experimental" unfinished support?

Here is vkcube and Sascha Willem's demos on ivy bridge, unfortunately without the title bar with the fps... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSeY5q0QIy8

Here is the command line outpout you get with them though, some didn't run and some didn't show anything because of missing tessellation shader support and I think compute shader doesn't work correctly either: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/C.../gistfile1.txt
                By the way: void VulkanExample::draw(): Assertion `!err' failed. Is not always an actual error, sometimes when the performance of the demo is bad, it just doesn't react to the window close button in several seconds and it's just faster to resize the window, which makes it crash instantly. In the past the demos actually segfaulted when resizing, now they only run into an assertion.

The latest Hologram from LunarG's SDK still fails, but it has changed its error message (this is also with a debug build of anvil):
                anv_device.c:425: FINISHME: Get correct values for VkPhysicalDeviceLimits
                Hologram: nir/spirv/spirv_to_nir.c:492: struct_member_decoration_cb: Assertion `!"Unhandled member decoration"' failed.

The Talos Principle still fails with:
                ERR: Cannot set requested display mode 1920x1080: GfxAPI error:
                ERR: Vulkan error: Cannot obtain 'vkCmdCopyQueryPoolResults()' device function pointer.

Are these issues that will be fixed for Haswell with the kernel update or are these even more missing/broken pieces in anvil for ivy bridge?

Comment

Lost time to try.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Maybe the color management could could be used by <a href="http://jonls.dk/redshift/">Redshift</a>?

Nice to see Haswell get Vulkan support.

redshift integration for GNOME Shell. Contribute to tommie-lie/gnome-shell-extension-redshift development by creating an account on GitHub.

Assuming that you're using GNOME shell, ofc.

Comment

Working...
                    X