Many Intel Bay Trail Devices Have Been Borked On Linux For The Past Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yacc143 View Post

Linux asterix 3.16.0-62-generic #83~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 26 22:52:39 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

ii xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu amd64 X.Org X Window System
    ii libgl1-mesa-dri: 10.1.3-0ubunt amd64 free implementation of the OpenGL API

Basically Ubuntu 14.04

Currently I'm trying max C1, which seems to have stabilized X11, but at the same time, my i7 never goes below 78°C, which is literally uncool, when used plugged in, and I don't want to know what it would do to battery run times.
    Since you're stuck with quite a high idle (C) state, try fixing the problem from the other end, the operational (P) state. Start by killing off turbo boost. Then try a power-saving pstate governor. If all else fails, cap the pstate as low as you can.
    Mind you, the system will become a little unresponsive and uncomfortable under heavy loads since you won't be getting those extra 500MHz when they're needed. You could try compensating by using a desktop oriented scheduler like the one that comes with liquorix which should prioritize user-facing applications.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
      So why is Carrizo-L (low cost) not a viable CPU?
      Obviously, what's your point? Carrizo-L is better than these by a long shot ... but I'm happy with the (somewhat old) Zacate 2.0 chips on the basis that they are vastly better than any of the current gen Atom cpus due to more ram support better GPU etc...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
        ... what's your point?
        briantech claimed
        Originally posted by briantech View Post
        ... Too bad AMD does not have a viable CPU right now in the mobile space.
        So I asked
        why is Carrizo-L not a viable CPU?
        I claim Carrizo-L is a viable CPU so AMD does have a viable CPU right now in the mobile space.
        Last edited by drSeehas; 14 March 2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Hello.

I had exactly the same problem with my laptop.
          Computer
          Processor 4x Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz
          Memory 3936MB (1866MB used)
          Operating System Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
          User Name
          Date/Time Tue 15 Mar 2016 05:54:35 AM CET
          Display
          Resolution 1366x768 pixels
          OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Bay Trail
          X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
          [X]buntu 14.04, 15.10, Antergos, Manjaro, and probably more of those.
          So, anyway, I read about this the day before and apparently the [temporary] solution *might* be in Linux kernel 4.1.x (LTS) (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051#c7).
          I installed 4.1.19 on my Mint 17.3 and it crashed after ~8 hours of up-time. Note I'm using .19 instead of .13 (.13 being written in the comment) so I'm going to try that one as well, although it's possible the crash is totally unrelated to this bug.

UPDATE: It's been over a week now with 4.1.20 and I haven't experienced a single crash or any kind of problems.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
          Ibrahim
          Last edited by it0295; 08 April 2016, 07:53 AM.

Comment

This problem still exists in Ubuntu 18.04.2 Tried the workaround in the article with the boot option crossing my fingers that it fixes it!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              This problem still exists in Ubuntu 18.04.2 Tried the workaround in the article with the boot option crossing my fingers that it fixes it!
              Just created an account to state that it's mid 2020 and this problem still plagues bay trail devices. I'm currently Running Linux Mint 20 on Kernel 5.4.0-40-generic and after a few hours trying to figure out why my notebook was randomly freezing I found the c-state problem and the kernel parameters workaround. In hopes that this problem gets fixed soon. Unfortunately these are the kind of problems that keep the general population out of Gnu/Linux.

Comment

Working...
              X