Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Kernel, Mesa, X version?

I've got a haswell i7 quad (mobile thinkpad t440p) with two external 1080p displays that is actually quite stable, as long as I leave it in the dock.... My only issues are when I dock/undock while the laptop is suspended (when it wakes up, things just hang).

I'm currently running Ubuntu 15.10 (X 1.17), Mesa from git, and kernel 4.5.0rc1. Note that kernel 4.4 was incredibly unstable for me, and 4.3 may have been as well. I believe that 4.2 was ok, but I haven't ran it in a while (even though its the default for my distro).
    Linux asterix 3.16.0-62-generic #83~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 26 22:52:39 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

ii xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu amd64 X.Org X Window System
    ii libgl1-mesa-dri: 10.1.3-0ubunt amd64 free implementation of the OpenGL API

Basically Ubuntu 14.04

Currently I'm trying max C1, which seems to have stabilized X11, but at the same time, my i7 never goes below 78°C, which is literally uncool, when used plugged in, and I don't want to know what it would do to battery run times.

Comment

Originally posted by yacc143 View Post

Linux asterix 3.16.0-62-generic #83~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 26 22:52:39 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

ii xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu amd64 X.Org X Window System
      ii libgl1-mesa-dri: 10.1.3-0ubunt amd64 free implementation of the OpenGL API

Basically Ubuntu 14.04

Currently I'm trying max C1, which seems to have stabilized X11, but at the same time, my i7 never goes below 78°C, which is literally uncool, when used plugged in, and I don't want to know what it would do to battery run times.
      Since you're stuck with quite a high idle (C) state, try fixing the problem from the other end, the operational (P) state. Start by killing off turbo boost. Then try a power-saving pstate governor. If all else fails, cap the pstate as low as you can.
      Mind you, the system will become a little unresponsive and uncomfortable under heavy loads since you won't be getting those extra 500MHz when they're needed. You could try compensating by using a desktop oriented scheduler like the one that comes with liquorix which should prioritize user-facing applications.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
        So why is Carrizo-L (low cost) not a viable CPU?
        Obviously, what's your point? Carrizo-L is better than these by a long shot ... but I'm happy with the (somewhat old) Zacate 2.0 chips on the basis that they are vastly better than any of the current gen Atom cpus due to more ram support better GPU etc...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
          ... what's your point?
          briantech claimed
          Originally posted by briantech View Post
          ... Too bad AMD does not have a viable CPU right now in the mobile space.
          So I asked
          why is Carrizo-L not a viable CPU?
          I claim Carrizo-L is a viable CPU so AMD does have a viable CPU right now in the mobile space.
          Last edited by drSeehas; 03-14-2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Hello.

I had exactly the same problem with my laptop.
            Computer
            Processor 4x Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz
            Memory 3936MB (1866MB used)
            Operating System Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
            User Name
            Date/Time Tue 15 Mar 2016 05:54:35 AM CET
            Display
            Resolution 1366x768 pixels
            OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Bay Trail
            X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
            [X]buntu 14.04, 15.10, Antergos, Manjaro, and probably more of those.
            So, anyway, I read about this the day before and apparently the [temporary] solution *might* be in Linux kernel 4.1.x (LTS) (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051#c7).
            I installed 4.1.19 on my Mint 17.3 and it crashed after ~8 hours of up-time. Note I'm using .19 instead of .13 (.13 being written in the comment) so I'm going to try that one as well, although it's possible the crash is totally unrelated to this bug.

UPDATE: It's been over a week now with 4.1.20 and I haven't experienced a single crash or any kind of problems.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
            Ibrahim
            Last edited by it0295; 04-08-2016, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              I bought mine TWO Christmases ago... just crashed AGAIN with kernel 4.4 so definitely still not fixed. Thing that ticks me off is they advertised it as a Pentium not an Atom.
              Hate reviving dead threads but I've finally resolved my Bay Trail lockup issues under Linux. Only took a couple YEARS, you people just needed to be patient.

FWIW, kernel 4.13 from drm-intel-next branch did it for me. I'm fairly certain it's the i915 module that had the problem but whatever, I don't think I care anymore. Everyone has moved on to banging their heads against Cherry Trail anyway. Personally, think I'll pass on that one...

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...rm-intel-next/
              https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=257621

$ cat /proc/version
              Linux version 4.13.0-997-generic (kernel@tangerine) (gcc version 7.2.0 (Ubuntu 7.2.0-3ubuntu1)) #201709072202 SMP Fri Sep 8 02:04:38 UTC 2017

$ glxinfo|grep DRI
              Device: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Bay Trail (0xf31)
              OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Bay Trail

$ lsmod|grep drm
              drm_kms_helper 163840 1 i915
              syscopyarea 16384 1 drm_kms_helper
              sysfillrect 16384 1 drm_kms_helper
              sysimgblt 16384 1 drm_kms_helper
              fb_sys_fops 16384 1 drm_kms_helper
              drm 356352 7 i915,drm_kms_helper

Comment

To be fair, they might have fixed the lockup issue a while ago. I've been using it for compiling and didn't even have a GUI installed for the last six months or so. Anywho, I took it apart (17" laptop) and put in a Sandisk SSD drive today and in the process found a loose SATA cable -- connector doesn't push in/out and lock like normal for small ribbons, it flips up/down like a lever -- I reseated it and a few random resets in my log seem to be gone.

So I probably had multiple issues causing my lockups, not just the crappy chipset. I'm still buying an AMD "Raven Ridge" laptop next time around though.

$ lscpu
                Architecture: x86_64
                CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
                Byte Order: Little Endian
                CPU(s): 4
                On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
                Thread(s) per core: 1
                Core(s) per socket: 4
                Socket(s): 1
                NUMA node(s): 1
                Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
                CPU family: 6
                Model: 55
                Model name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz
                Stepping: 8
                CPU MHz: 2165.800
                CPU max MHz: 2665.6001
                CPU min MHz: 499.8000
                BogoMIPS: 4331.60
                Virtualization: VT-x
                L1d cache: 24K
                L1i cache: 32K
                L2 cache: 1024K
                NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3
                Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch epb tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms dtherm ida arat

$ dmesg|grep processors
                [ 0.308053] smpboot: Total of 4 processors activated (17335.25 BogoMIPS)

Comment

OK, last post in this thread... works fine with stock 4.10 kernel in Ubuntu 17.04 so guess it has been fixed a while.

$ inxi -SCG
                  System: Host: gie2017 Kernel: 4.10.0-35-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Budgie 10.2.9 Distro: Ubuntu 17.04
                  CPU: Quad core Intel Pentium N3540 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
                  clock speeds: max: 2665 MHz 1: 810 MHz 2: 1236 MHz 3: 557 MHz 4: 624 MHz
                  Graphics: Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
                  Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
                  Resolution: 1600x900@60.08hz
                  GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7

Comment

Working...
                  X