Intel's Mesa Driver Is Very Close To Having FP64, Thereby OpenGL 4 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Mesa Driver Is Very Close To Having FP64, Thereby OpenGL 4 Support

Phoronix: Intel's Mesa Driver Is Very Close To Having FP64, Thereby OpenGL 4 Support

Consulting firm Igalia has been working on FP64 support within the Mesa i965 driver on the behalf of Intel. It looks like they'll soon be wrapped up with this support and that in turn means there will be OpenGL 4.0+ compliance!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Been following the addition here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92760
    It's been close for a while, they've definitely been really active. There's a lot to this feature.

Comment

4.5 seams so close, yet its so far.

Comment

Finally - now all we need is vertex_attrib_64bit and we'll be on our way to full 4.2 support. I hope AMD catches up with shader_image_load_store and shader_atomic_counters first, though.

It'll be exciting for these OGL specs to get pushed out, because that should hopefully get devs to focus on performance and Vulkan.

Comment

Sentence almost complete. Thereby headline.

Comment

It's really time for Intel to get OpenGL 4 support. You can fake it and run some games but that does not work all the time. It usually can not complete against a powerful card but with 720p on lowest settings you can play basically the same games as with an entry level to midrage card. I hope they finish the missing extension for OpenGL 4.1 too soon.
            Last edited by Kano; 02 March 2016, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              It's really time for Intel to get OpenGL 4 support. You can fake it and run some games but that does not work all the time. It usually can not complete against a powerful card but with 720p on lowest settings you can play basically the same games as with an entry level to midrage card. I hope they finish the missing extension for OpenGL 4.1 too soon.

This is a huge changeset, accounting for about 4,000 new lines of code to author and review, and touching 94(!) individual files. I think there's a good reason it's waited this long. It's easy to lean back and armchair this; but we'd be better off if each of us spent the time learning to contribute.

To be honest, there really aren't a WHOLE lot of applications which use doubles in their shaders (which is why you can usually report GL 4 safely); so it's easy to see why this extension waited so much longer than the many 4.x core extensions which have come first.

Comment

It'll just be a number change, and something for phoronix to write yet another "article" about. No games use double prec, and only few other applications do. Nothing will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  It'll just be a number change, and something for phoronix to write yet another "article" about. No games use double prec, and only few other applications do. Nothing will change.
                  except because there IS a number change games and other programs will work by default and you won't have to tell your system to spoof a different level of GL. That's critical for game devs and very helpful for users

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    https://github.com/Igalia/mesa/commits/i965-fp64
                    This branch only has "Enable ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 for gen8+". In the bug entry there is an old statement
                    BTW, in case this hasn't been mentioned before: Jason and I agreed that it would be best to get fp64 working on gen8 first, and then add support for gen7 later. Gen7 is liable to have more bugs wrt fp64, and there is some weirdness around immediates, so it's better to focus on the easier gen first.
                    So I guess it's still coming later?

Comment

Working...
                    X