DRI2 vs. DRI3 Benchmarks With Intel Skylake HD Graphics 530

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Have you used VAAPI for video output? I've never really had a problem with tearing on mine.
    Never could get VAAPI to work. I don't understand it. On my AMD card all I had to do to enable vdpau was change a use flag on gentoo. But just changing the vaapi use flag isn't enough it seems. I can then choose vaapi as a rendering option, but no dice. Honestly I suspect Intel pulled one of their usual "fuse that feature off" techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by sudo View Post

I have a laptop with an intel i5 520m. It can play 1080p 60fps videos perfectly without tearing.
      I am using Debian and uxa.
      Ah, perhaps I need to try UXA then. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Never could get VAAPI to work. I don't understand it. On my AMD card all I had to do to enable vdpau was change a use flag on gentoo. But just changing the vaapi use flag isn't enough it seems. I can then choose vaapi as a rendering option, but no dice. Honestly I suspect Intel pulled one of their usual "fuse that feature off" techniques.
        USE=vaapi on mesa adds it to gallium based stuff. On pure Intel machine I have it in fact locally disabled for mesa, because then I can also disable gallium and llvm, which I don't need for intel.
        For Intel VAAPI you just need to install x11-libs/libva-intel-driver and then USE=vaapi on the using stuff like players and whatnot (so I have it globally, with locally disabled for mesa)

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

Glamor support has been removed from the Intel driver quite some time ago. So, no, I have not.
          You could use the "modesetting" x driver instead of the intel driver and use glamor.

Comment

Originally posted by leio View Post

USE=vaapi on mesa adds it to gallium based stuff. On pure Intel machine I have it in fact locally disabled for mesa, because then I can also disable gallium and llvm, which I don't need for intel.
            For Intel VAAPI you just need to install x11-libs/libva-intel-driver and then USE=vaapi on the using stuff like players and whatnot (so I have it globally, with locally disabled for mesa)
            Yeah, just tried again, and still I get just a black screen, no dice. I don't understand it. Maybe there are some log outputs that may help in figuring it out? I still suspect Intel pulled one of their "fuse that feature off" techniques. I don't think this chip has vaapi still enabled in hardware. It does play standard definition just fine with xv though, so I'm happy with it other than the video tearing.

Comment

VAAPI Hardware decoding is supposed to work with an Ironlake cpu, but there is an open bug.
              It works fine up to 720p, but the playback becomes laggy with 1080p videos.
              Last edited by sudo; 21 February 2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Hmm.. Isn`t Nvidia proprietary supposed to be using DRI3? I've got this.. on 361.28

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i DRI2[ 3.790] (II) Loading sub module "dri2"
                [ 3.790] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
                [ 3.790] (II) Module "dri2" already built-in
                [ 3.790] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
                [ 3.790] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2] VDPAU driver: nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by shaolin View Post
                  Hmm.. Isn`t Nvidia proprietary supposed to be using DRI3? I've got this.. on 361.28

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i DRI2[ 3.790] (II) Loading sub module "dri2"
                  [ 3.790] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
                  [ 3.790] (II) Module "dri2" already built-in
                  [ 3.790] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
                  [ 3.790] (II) NVIDIA(0): [DRI2] VDPAU driver: nvidia

I think at some XDC presentation they said they thought of switching to DRI3, but opted to stick to DRI2 to prevent breaking compatibility with 'legacy apps' that use some corner cases of X11/GLX behaviours.

Comment

Hi,
                    just have a Skylake 6600k system with Nvidia 970 and Ubuntu 15.10..
                    just wanting to test Intel Vulkan driver..
                    problem is system works fine and altough not a Optimus system seems Ubuntu with "gpumanager" can use both Nvidia and Intel GPUs if I have one connected at a different monitor switching in Nvidia-settings driver PRIME menu to use Intel integrated or Nvidia GPU..
                    problem is don't know how to enable DRI3 on Intel driver as seems creating a xorg.conf with Option "DRI" "3" the "gpumanager" deletes xorg.conf and ignores completely..
                    any help?
                    i.e. how to point gpumanager to use "DRI" "3" on Intel GPUs?
                    also I assume using Oibaf or Padoka PPA as Intel driver builtin in Ubunto 15.10 doesn't have DRI3 right?

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

You could use the "modesetting" x driver instead of the intel driver and use glamor.

Ah. I haven't used modesetting driver. I don't really like creating config files to enable certain feature. I prefer configure switches where they select the default behavior (I build everything from source anyways). That works for intel ddx. Not sure if it can be done for modesetting.

Comment

Working...
                      X