X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haagch
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Intel figured out how to fix the gpu crashes on gen7 hardware, and there are patches enabling it there now too.
    Aww yiss.

Unigine Heaven doesn't render correctly on ivy bridge, but you can see tessellation works:

It looks black without tessellation too. And yes, ~/.driconf is up to date, and with radeonsi it works fine in the same configuration.

By the way: Is intel ging to do something about X getting sluggish with heavy OpenGL loads? Running unigine heaven on my ivy bridge gpu not only makes X less responsive, it also makes the mouse pointer sluggish and jumpy...

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Intel figured out how to fix the gpu crashes on gen7 hardware, and there are patches enabling it there now too.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 25 December 2015, 05:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by ultimA View Post

Not necessarily. Tesselation trades memory bandwidth for GPU compute resources. So if your application+hardware combination was bandwidth limited and was not fully utilizing the GPU otherwise, tesselation can improve performance by having to send less vertices to the GPU while still retaining the same quality.
    That presumes you are using tessellation to replace your old code that was providing identical vertices the old way. From what I've seen, that has never really happened in real apps. Maybe on mobile?

Games seem to just use tessellation to add additional vertices on top of the old ones, providing a higher level of quality (for more gpu work).

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    8core desktop processor is so 2011
    So socket 2011?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I know right? They sell 16 core/ 32 threads processors since 2014.
    desktop?

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Originally posted by Ancurio View Post

I mean, it's an additional load on the GPU.. so it's going to perform worse than without tessellation in any scenario.
    Except when you're using the strange thing called Catalyst. It scores higher in Heaven with extreme tessellation than with no tessellation at all. Though it's a driver issue of course, technically you're absolutely right.

Leave a comment:

• ultimA
    replied

I mean, it's an additional load on the GPU.. so it's going to perform worse than without tessellation in any scenario.
    Not necessarily. Tesselation trades memory bandwidth for GPU compute resources. So if your application+hardware combination was bandwidth limited and was not fully utilizing the GPU otherwise, tesselation can improve performance by having to send less vertices to the GPU while still retaining the same quality.

Leave a comment:

• mdias
    replied

Only benchmarking can tell. Remember that you're using less memory (therefore less memory bandwidth) and now you can put more stuff on the caches.

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    Originally posted by siavashserver
    B..b...but I wished for a real eight-core desktop processor :P Joking aside, how much do you think dynamic level of detail through tessellation will improve performance on Intel in real world situations? (higher vertex shader load for skinned animations, and tiny triangles vs. geometry tessellation on the fly)

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    2fps with R600g and dedicated card in Heaven, I wonder how these IGPs perform.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X