No announcement yet.

Intel Is Working On Miracast (HDMI Over Wireless) For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An initial idea was to do everything in user-space by redirecting the ioctls to user-space, but concerns were raised over implementing too much and allowing proprietary graphics drivers to be implemented in user-space atop any new interfaces from this work.
    What? Can someone explain this?

Comment

Miracast? Where is Widi support in Linux, Intel?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Miracast? Where is Widi support in Linux, Intel?
        Widi and Miracast are one and the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Well keep in mind it's probably heavily compressed. Doing uncompressed HD video over wifi, as you stated, just isn't realistic.
          I take it you haven't heard of 802.11ad
          Unfortunately given our atmosphere it has a rather short range (iirc, only a few, very few, meters).
          802.11ac can, theoretically, support something like 5gb (with enough antennas and radios).

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            I take it you haven't heard of 802.11ad
            Unfortunately given our atmosphere it has a rather short range (iirc, only a few, very few, meters).
            802.11ac can, theoretically, support something like 5gb (with enough antennas and radios).
            True but keep in mind for every additional device you add to the network you're dividing the bandwidth, and not many devices are ad (or ac) compatible. With something like Miracast, I think the original intention was an ad-hoc connection, so you could probably get by with n speeds with some compression. Remember too that just because you can stream 5gbp/s, it doesn't mean the receiving device can interpret all of that. Compressed data can sometimes be easier to work with, albeit with poorer latency.

Comment

How about make it work in Windows first? Buggy unusable PoS.

Comment

There's solutions for if you're bleeding money, and for if you just have a lot to throw around.
                There are also some less expensive access points, if you already have an ethernet solution in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                  There's solutions for if you're bleeding money, and for if you just have a lot to throw around.
                  That would go great in my 8-TV infotainment system that's set up in 3 of my 4 Range Rovers!

Comment

Originally posted by blubbaer View Post

Miracast isn't really HDMI over Wifi. I would describe it as MP4 over Wifi. The audio and video data is compressed with H.264 and AAC and the container format is adapted for Wifi.
                    Too bad, it's proprietary then.

Comment

Working...
                    X