Intel Lands First Round Of Graphics Work For Linux 4.5, Includes Kaby Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Lands First Round Of Graphics Work For Linux 4.5, Includes Kaby Lake

Phoronix: Intel Lands First Round Of Graphics Work For Linux 4.5, Includes Kaby Lake

The first batch of Intel DRM graphics driver changes targeting the Linux 4.5 kernel have landed into DRM-Next...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kaby Lake will stick to 14nm and add native USB 3.1, HDCP 2.2, VP9 and HEVC 10-bit hardware decoding, and more.
    Wait does that mean, Skylake has not HEVC 10-bit decoding, no HDMI 2.0 and no VP9 decoding?

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

Wait does that mean, Skylake has not HEVC 10-bit decoding, no HDMI 2.0 and no VP9 decoding?
      No Shit, Sherlock!

... Sorry couldn't resist HDMI 2.0 and USB 3.1 is however supported if the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller is added. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylak...rchitecture%29

Comment

Interesting, thanks for the information, I knew HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 was possible on Syklake boards, I just assumed it wasn't an extra chip that handles that. And I am a little bit disappointed that High10 is not supported, I think it's quite essential for the future as most SOCs and all the discrete GPUs with High8 support also support High10.

Comment

Honestly, I'm just interested to see whether they roll out more Iris Pro chipsets (like that socketed Broadwell desktop CPU with tons of eDRAM) under "Kaby Lake." It barely seems to qualify as a new architecture -- more like the "Haswell refresh," except since they're officially abandoning the annual tick-tock cadence they need to make it sound like a big new thing -- but Skylake is currently a little light on certain market segments, so this is a logical next step.

Comment

Working...
          X