Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eero
    replied
    GpuTest tessalation test can be run with Mesa branch from here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~kwg/mesa/log/?h=tessquash

By prefixing the test with MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.0.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
    I'm convinced the way the Linux scheduler manages threads is partially to blame. When running heavy benchmarks, you want the scheduler biased to running that application at all times, even if background tasks get starved. Windows does this, Linux does not. I'm convinced the GPU/Application thread(s) are getting swapped out, which could kill performance by well over 50%.
    We already have benchmarks of games that are CPU bottlenecked where Linux is ahead, when using drivers from non-idiotic companies.

Leave a comment:

• Eero
    replied
    Michael, if you want results that are comparable between Windows and Linux, you should run fullscreen tests only in monitor's native resolution. Or verify the resolution actually used by the test with "xwininfo" (run e.g. from ssh console).

Many tests don't behave similarly on Windows and Linux (and neither does the windowing system) if requested resolution differs from the monitor's native one. I.e. use FullHD monitor, if you want to run tests in fullscreen FullHD resolution, and if you want to compare them in some other resolution, run them in windowed mode.

Besides Xonotic, GpuTest results seem also bogus. Several of the Linux results are about 1/4 of what they should be. E.g. when Volplosion is run correctly on Skylake, it's faster with Linux/Mesa than with Windows.

Mesa supports GpuTest GiMark just fine as that doesn't use any new GL features, issue is in how Phoronix test-suite runs it: GiMark is buggy, you need to specify the GL version for Mesa to accept its output. Any GL 3.x version is OK, e.g. "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.1". I've also seen Windows to misrender that test, but I don't know whether that affects performance and whether that's a problem in the test or Windows driver.

Note: Above isn't only issue with GpuTest, e.g. test duration directly multiplies the resulting test score...

Leave a comment:

• gamerk2
    replied
    Originally posted by humbug View Post
    So in a Microsoft environment where few applications use openGL it still runs circles around Linux on this Intel GPU?

Is it just the weakness of the Linux driver or something to do with the OS?

I'm convinced the way the Linux scheduler manages threads is partially to blame. When running heavy benchmarks, you want the scheduler biased to running that application at all times, even if background tasks get starved. Windows does this, Linux does not. I'm convinced the GPU/Application thread(s) are getting swapped out, which could kill performance by well over 50%.

Unfortunately, Linux is short on low-level debug tools that can actually give a user that degree of visibility; Linux seriously needs something akin to GPUView, if it really wants to get serious about gaming results.

Leave a comment:

• jf33
    replied
    Still no one can beat mesa drivers when it comes to correctness.

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    We have already given up on OpenGL for Linux. Waiting for Vulcan.
    This attitude is ok for AAA games.
    But elsewhere not all other applications or games from smaller studios are gonna jump to Vulkan. OpenGL will live on despite it's problems, that's why it's important for Intel and AMD to get their openGL in order.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    We have already given up on OpenGL for Linux. Waiting for Vulcan.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
    This is a disaster!!!
    Exactly my first thought

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by humbug View Post
    So in a Microsoft environment where few applications use openGL it still runs circles around Linux on this Intel GPU?

Is it just the weakness of the Linux driver or something to do with the OS?
    Basically, in a nutshell, there are two companies in particular who make GPU drivers that are 100% dedicated to pushing MS, and 100% dedicated to making sure Linux doesn't encroach on any of MS's established territory.

The problem with Linux is that it's largely ISA-independent, as Android showed, and there's no way Intel is going to get behind that for consumer devices. Servers, yes. Consumer devices, hell no. That's why Intel started pushing all that Surface Pro crap and basically told Android to f off.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by swoorup View Post
    Well this is embarrassing, Intel mesa has been in development for a long time. Seriously, so it takes longer to write a good driver for a single card than to release new cards every now and then?
    Maybe, but I think it has more to do with the fact that OpenGL was not designed for modern hardware. Also older Intel GPU's do perform well compared to Windows. So it's really (imo) a matter of the hardware not being appropriate for the software stack it runs. That's been true of OpenGL for a long time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X