Intel Skylake Graphics: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by humbug View Post
    So in a Microsoft environment where few applications use openGL it still runs circles around Linux on this Intel GPU?

Is it just the weakness of the Linux driver or something to do with the OS?
    Primarily the graphics driver. The Windows and Linux versions have hardly anything in common.

Comment

Well this is embarrassing, Intel mesa has been in development for a long time. Seriously, so it takes longer to write a good driver for a single card than to release new cards every now and then?

Comment

Regardless of the results, I was right with my prediction:

Linux won in the latency department! (At least in OpenArena; it's just too bad that not more benchmarks reveal their frame-latencies...)

Comment

So in a Microsoft environment where few applications use openGL it still runs circles around Linux on this Intel GPU?

Obviously it's not the OS, since Linux performs every bit as well as windows in video benchmarks when using nvidia cards with the proprietary drivers. The intel open source linux graphics drivers simply do not get the same amount of love as the proprietary windoze graphics drivers.

Bottom line: If performance is important, use nvidia graphics and run the nvidia binary blob

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
            Regardless of the results, I was right with my prediction:

Linux won in the latency department! (At least in OpenArena; it's just too bad that not more benchmarks reveal their frame-latencies...)
            What are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
              Well this is embarrassing, Intel mesa has been in development for a long time. Seriously, so it takes longer to write a good driver for a single card than to release new cards every now and then?
              Maybe, but I think it has more to do with the fact that OpenGL was not designed for modern hardware. Also older Intel GPU's do perform well compared to Windows. So it's really (imo) a matter of the hardware not being appropriate for the software stack it runs. That's been true of OpenGL for a long time.

Comment

Basically, in a nutshell, there are two companies in particular who make GPU drivers that are 100% dedicated to pushing MS, and 100% dedicated to making sure Linux doesn't encroach on any of MS's established territory.

The problem with Linux is that it's largely ISA-independent, as Android showed, and there's no way Intel is going to get behind that for consumer devices. Servers, yes. Consumer devices, hell no. That's why Intel started pushing all that Surface Pro crap and basically told Android to f off.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
                  This is a disaster!!!
                  Exactly my first thought

Comment

We have already given up on OpenGL for Linux. Waiting for Vulcan.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                      We have already given up on OpenGL for Linux. Waiting for Vulcan.
                      This attitude is ok for AAA games.
                      But elsewhere not all other applications or games from smaller studios are gonna jump to Vulkan. OpenGL will live on despite it's problems, that's why it's important for Intel and AMD to get their openGL in order.

Comment

Working...
                      X