Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Skylake Graphics: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance

Phoronix: Intel Skylake Graphics: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance

As it's been a while since my last Windows vs. Linux graphics comparison and haven't yet done such a comparison for Intel's latest-generation Skylake HD Graphics, the past few days I was running Windows 10 Pro x64 versus Ubuntu 15.10 graphics benchmarks with a Core i5 6600K sporting HD Graphics 530.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a disaster!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
      This is a disaster!!!
      maybe. i can't understand why using a devel driver against a stable one

Comment

The Intel Linux Skylake graphics driver seems to have some huge issue with Xonotic compared to the Windows performance levels.
        Likely it runs on native 4K on Linux Xonotic 0.7 is fine on that, but 0.8 and later broke somewhat changing that from command line, whatever you set it benchmark on native res.

Future is bright, we will be only slower because of WS
        Last edited by dungeon; 08 November 2015, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          maybe. i can't understand why using a devel driver against a stable one
          I don't have a problem with that myself. The OSS drivers are still in heavy development and to get the latest developments you have to use the latest code.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Likely it runs on native 4K on Linux
            Yep, that's probably it. The Xonotic profile only launches the game at whatever the monitors highest resolution is. And PTS doesn't indicate that at all.

Comment

Well bug is in the game it does not set highest avalable, but resolution on what current Desktop is. He should test 0.7 for proper comparison or if 0.8 then change Desktop resolution before runnung test or whatever.

It is not Xonotic only issue, many games are borked with changing resolutions on Linux especially if someone wants non native or lower then Desktop resolution.
              Last edited by dungeon; 08 November 2015, 04:33 PM.

Comment

So in a Microsoft environment where few applications use openGL it still runs circles around Linux on this Intel GPU?

Is it just the weakness of the Linux driver or something to do with the OS?

Comment

and the real results
                  on concrete games are even worser
                  most games that worked nicely on haswell graphics are much slower, unplayable or unstartable on skylake

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I don't have a problem with that myself. The OSS drivers are still in heavy development and to get the latest developments you have to use the latest code.
                    The Intel drivers have been in development for ten years. You are not allowed to claim heavy development just because you understaff your dev team and thus they are always behind on features and device support.

Comment

Working...
                    X