Have Troubles With 4K Displays On Intel Linux? Try The Linux 4.3 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Troubles With 4K Displays On Intel Linux? Try The Linux 4.3 Kernel

Phoronix: Have Troubles With 4K Displays On Intel Linux? Try The Linux 4.3 Kernel

I've been meaning to pass along a bit of advice if you're trying to use Intel HD/Iris Graphics to drive a 4K display: you may need to use the Linux 4.3 kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nux-4K-4.3-Fix

I'm on a i7 6700 and more or less have to run 4.3 to get any graphics and 4K on a MST 4k display is not working at all. I have to change the monitor to 4k in 30HZ and no MST to get a picture. and then there is some issue with powesrsave mode (sceeen of) as it often do not come back.

Comment

Yeah, I have issues with intel graphics drivers. I can list a bunch of issues yet unresolved, regardless of driver state.

I am running xf86-video-intel git. Linux 4.3, Xorg 1.17.4

* Suspend to ram does not work all the time. Sometimes the display does not light back up, even though the machine seems to be running.
      * Various monitors "go out of sync" when returning from suspend to ram, or when shifting to console. Sometimes with just garbled output.
      * External display take ages to get sync on. It takes half my boot process before the external screen starts.
      * I get GPU hangs when compiling the kernel with IOMMU support.
      * Monitor on external dock always refuses to come back up after suspend to ram.
      * Some 2d rendering issues still exist, but they are rare.
      * A lot of spurious interrupts in the kernel log from the graphics card. ([drm:gen8_irq_handler] *ERROR* The master control interrupt lied (SDE)!)

The situation has gotten slightly better. Previous releases I had to add several i915 options to the kernel cmd-line to get the gfx to behave somewhat.
      But the situation is still mostly shit. I have run Nvidia stuff for years and NEVER had issues of this magnitude. As far as I am concerned the Nvidia drivers are miles better.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Have Troubles With 4K Displays On Intel Linux? Try The Linux 4.3 Kernel

I've been meaning to pass along a bit of advice if you're trying to use Intel HD/Iris Graphics to drive a 4K display: you may need to use the Linux 4.3 kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nux-4K-4.3-Fix
        I think 4.2.3 stable should have the same fixes in it.

at least later 4.2.x fixed things for me.

Dave.

Comment

thanks for much for this report michael! my intel nuc video is finally stable and it was easy to install linux 4.3 on archlinux

Comment

Has anyone been able to connect a 4k monitor?
            Or more specifically a P2715Q from Dell using a Type-C to DP cable?
            While it works great with a 1080p monitor, the 4k will fall in power saving mode and make the whole laptop (XPS 13 9350) crash...
            Last edited by RRRR; 16 December 2015, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X