A Bug In The Intel Linux Graphics Driver Is Causing KDE's Plasma 5 To Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by persept View Post
    I am running arch and was getting crashes from Plasma Shell every 5-10 minutes.... making it very frustrating to use. I just installed mesa-git and xf86-video-intel-git and so far in the last hour I have not seen any crashes, when I would usually see 10-15 crashes... Overriding SNA and using UXA worked, but for anybody out there, try installing the mesa and xf86-video-intel from git and you will be very happy
    Yes, a lot of these bugs only appear in distributions shipping old package versions (like Debian) and the immediate response of the maintainers is to send it upstream without checking whether or not the bug has already been fixed upstream.

It's a shame nobody who experiences this particular bug has bothered to bisect it, "It seems to have been semi-recently introduced", "I'm guessing it started after an update to xf86-video-intel." etc. but nobody did a bisect?

Comment

I suspect part of the problem is that Intel have effectively thrown the release system out of the window - 2.99.x are supposed to be pre-3.0 betas, but it's been so long since a meaningful stable release that even the large end-user distros have been forced to use them.

As such there are no stable branches, no centrally-organised backports, no memorable version numbers. Just release 3.0 already - it doesn't matter that it's not perfect at this point, everyone's using it regardless.
      Last edited by FLHerne; 06 August 2015, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post

Yes, a lot of these bugs only appear in distributions shipping old package versions (like Debian) and the immediate response of the maintainers is to send it upstream without checking whether or not the bug has already been fixed upstream.

It's a shame nobody who experiences this particular bug has bothered to bisect it, "It seems to have been semi-recently introduced", "I'm guessing it started after an update to xf86-video-intel." etc. but nobody did a bisect?
        Given that it's affecting more than just Intel chipsets (AMD and Nouveau drivers are reported as also having the issue) and that only Plasma 5 seems to be the main software crashing with segfaults, I'm guessing it's something within Plasma/Kwin/Qt.
        It's hard to bisect when it's not clear what exactly needs to be bisected.

Reading through the Red Hat Bugzilla for it (here), it might be related to the KDE cache files leftover from previous versions (at least in some of the reported cases.)

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
          Given that it's affecting more than just Intel chipsets (AMD and Nouveau drivers are reported as also having the issue) and that only Plasma 5 seems to be the main software crashing with segfaults, I'm guessing it's something within Plasma/Kwin/Qt.
          It's hard to bisect when it's not clear what exactly needs to be bisected.

Reading through the Red Hat Bugzilla for it (here), it might be related to the KDE cache files leftover from previous versions (at least in some of the reported cases.)
          You are linking to a different bug than the one originally discussed in the article. That one very clearly has a stacktrace that is crashing inside the intel driver. (And even if the OpenGL code is wrong, it's still a bug to allow it to crash the driver).

Some debugging of the situation is available here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86281#c19
          Last edited by smitty3268; 07 August 2015, 12:26 AM.

Comment

I've not had any issues with the Intel SNA DDX but I'm using DRI3 not DRI2 - I did however notice World of Warcraft crashing a lot when alt tabbing back to the desktop - I had it forced to use DRI2 for better offloading to my discreet Radeon card - DRI3 and PRIME is really jerky for me

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I've not had any issues with the Intel SNA DDX but I'm using DRI3 not DRI2 - I did however notice World of Warcraft crashing a lot when alt tabbing back to the desktop - I had it forced to use DRI2 for better offloading to my discreet Radeon card - DRI3 and PRIME is really jerky for me
              US or EU FireBurn?
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

What get me more upset is that KDE5 is not properly isolated from KDE4 in Archlinux and probably other distributions. As in you have to do swap in and out files depending which version you want. Also some stupid person decided to store KDE5's registry items in .KDE4 directory. CRAZY. 37
                Last edited by e8hffff; 10 August 2015, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X