Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Bug In The Intel Linux Graphics Driver Is Causing KDE's Plasma 5 To Crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Bug In The Intel Linux Graphics Driver Is Causing KDE's Plasma 5 To Crash

    Phoronix: A Bug In The Intel Linux Graphics Driver Is Causing KDE's Plasma 5 To Crash

    A bug affecting the open-source Intel Linux graphics driver appears to be responsible for many reports of KDE's Plasma 5 being unstable or causing crashes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...5-Driver-Crash

  • #2
    I could not have predicted that coming in a million years...
    Bought a new Broadwell machine with an Intel stack and it has poured graphics issues at me like a big manure spreader.

    Comment


    • #3
      There has been a pervasive issue for months with plasma 5 locking up and requiring "killall plasmashell ; plasmashell" and it's certainly not limited to Intel cards... I have an ATI Radeon - same issue. This has been reported and documented ad nauseam and the answer has been "oh you have an intel card"... so yeah, there might indeed be an issue with an Intel driver, but plasma 5 has bigger issues than this... I'm getting the feeling the plasma folks are thinking "oh, it's just intel" - hope that isn't the case, cause it certainly isn't.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am running arch and was getting crashes from Plasma Shell every 5-10 minutes.... making it very frustrating to use. I just installed mesa-git and xf86-video-intel-git and so far in the last hour I have not seen any crashes, when I would usually see 10-15 crashes... Overriding SNA and using UXA worked, but for anybody out there, try installing the mesa and xf86-video-intel from git and you will be very happy

        Comment


        • #5
          Xubuntu on Mullins and Radeon driver: I open Thunar and screen hangs for a second and every 5 seconds. Winetricks the same wile the Cooler runs like crazy, some times with Thunar to. Doesn't happen with Catalyst. I work with Pcmanfm for now plus Compton, because not even Vsync works right. The default Xfce compositor does a cut at the upper 1/10 of the screen.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by artivision View Post
            Xubuntu on Mullins and Radeon driver: I open Thunar and screen hangs for a second and every 5 seconds. Winetricks the same wile the Cooler runs like crazy, some times with Thunar to. Doesn't happen with Catalyst. I work with Pcmanfm for now plus Compton, because not even Vsync works right. The default Xfce compositor does a cut at the upper 1/10 of the screen.
            This thread is about Intel and KDE, I guess you are just commenting on the state of Mesa's Radeon drivers using Xfce or compton compositioners?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by persept View Post

              This thread is about Intel and KDE, I guess you are just commenting on the state of Mesa's Radeon drivers using Xfce or compton compositioners?
              Yes, i have repeatedly (every 5 seconds) a hang for 1 second, when i open specific apps (like Thunar) on both XFCE and KDE and regardless the compositor, some times the cooler goes crazy. This is only when i use the Radeon driver, Catalyst is OK. My system has Mullins and Hainan.
              Last edited by artivision; 08-06-2015, 03:36 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Intel has awful track record wrt stability. I remember reporting a BSOD on kms init bug that dragged since 3.0 kernel will it was fixed in 3.5. Then it came back and went. Disabling kms forced me to use vesa driver, as intel was already 'kms or nothing' at that point.

                One update hard locked the pc during xorg startup, until it was hotfixed.

                there are numerous bugs where switching between sna or other acceleration mitigates the issue. I mean, what the hell? Is the hardware that whimsical?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gbcox View Post
                  There has been a pervasive issue for months with plasma 5 locking up and requiring "killall plasmashell ; plasmashell" and it's certainly not limited to Intel cards... I have an ATI Radeon - same issue. This has been reported and documented ad nauseam and the answer has been "oh you have an intel card"... so yeah, there might indeed be an issue with an Intel driver, but plasma 5 has bigger issues than this... I'm getting the feeling the plasma folks are thinking "oh, it's just intel" - hope that isn't the case, cause it certainly isn't.
                  If intel driver causes a large chunk of the crashes, I can see how developers might be tempted to lump other unrelated crashed into the same category.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gbcox View Post
                    There has been a pervasive issue for months with plasma 5 locking up and requiring "killall plasmashell ; plasmashell" and it's certainly not limited to Intel cards... I have an ATI Radeon - same issue. This has been reported and documented ad nauseam and the answer has been "oh you have an intel card"... so yeah, there might indeed be an issue with an Intel driver, but plasma 5 has bigger issues than this... I'm getting the feeling the plasma folks are thinking "oh, it's just intel" - hope that isn't the case, cause it certainly isn't.
                    I'm having the same issue on my laptop using radeonsi (AMD APU system running openSUSE Tumbleweed x86-64 with Pontostroy's repos and latest kernel snapshot). The issue manifests most often when moving/manipulating widgets on the desktop, some seem to be more "volatile" than others.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X