Intel's Braswell NUC Trips On Fedora 22 But Runs Fine On Ubuntu 15.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Braswell NUC Trips On Fedora 22 But Runs Fine On Ubuntu 15.04

Phoronix: Intel's Braswell NUC Trips On Fedora 22 But Runs Fine On Ubuntu 15.04

This week I started testing Intel's new NUC5CPYH NUC as the first device with a Braswell SoC (not to be confused with Broadwell). The tests are progressing but the out-of-the-box experience hasn't been one of the best for Intel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Fedora-Ubuntu

I guess thing has a fan?

Dunno why asking, as those sticks also have it - but anyway .

edit: fan

Last edited by dungeon; 15 July 2015, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I have one of these arriving soon. I _was_ planning on running F22 on it :-\
      Maybe rawhide ?

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
        I have one of these arriving soon. I _was_ planning on running F22 on it :-\
        Maybe rawhide ?

It should work, but you might need to fiddle with kernel cmdline. Maybe nomodeset (assuming that's still supported by i915). I'd love to see what came up in Michael's journal. That'd make diagnosis a bit easier.

Comment

Unless you need the more powerful GPU or care about the extra 4W, I'd take one of the quad core Celeron J1900 based NUCs over this. Dual core Atoms just don't cut it for my usage.

Comment

Ubuntu hacked the 3.19 kernel with a 2nd driver for Skylake/Braswell. Most likely you can use "i915.preliminary_hw_support=1" as option with recent kernels which are not officially supported.

Comment

At the time of the release of FC22, the graphic stack was not stable.
              However, one could rebuild FC22 LiveCD with the latest Linux kernel as well as Graphic Stack

Minimum requirements for running Linux on Braswell must be met:
              Linux Kernel - 4.0.4
              Mesa - 10.6.0
              xf86-video-intel - 2.99.917
              Libdrm - 2.4.60
              Libva - 1.6.0
              vaapi intel-driver - 1.6.0
              Cairo - 1.14.2
              Xorg Xserver - 1.17.1
              Intel-gpu-tools - 1.11

Release Notes from www.01.org (Intel Linux Graphics Stack):
              Release description

This release brings new features and many fixes for all platforms. As usual this Release Notes highlight most important features and bug fixes and also list all known issues. The 2015Q2 highlights are:
              • Execlists and full PPGTT enabled by default on all platforms that supports it: Broadwell, Skylake and Cherryview/Braswell.
              • Cherryview/Braswell is out of preliminary_hw_support protection what means it achieved good stability and confidence levels.
              For more info, follow below link
              https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloa...-stack-release

Comment

Working...
              X