Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intel NUC5CPYH / Braswell Is Finally Shipping

Phoronix: The Intel NUC5CPYH / Braswell Is Finally Shipping

If you have been interested in an Intel NUC as a 4-inch, low-power computer, the Braswell-based NUC5CPYH is finally in-stock and shipping at major Internet retailers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The VGA port makes this the perfect device to replace millions of computers with monitors which don't have HDMI interfaces.

In an embedded context the perfect storage device for this NUC's SATA interface may well be a SLC (single layer cell) SATADOM (Disk on Module).

For those who would deploy these NUCs with SATADOMs in large numbers there is a SATADOM Duplicator from UReach which supports ?quick copy? for Linux (ext2/ext3/ext4) and NTFS, FAT16/32!
    Last edited by vwtch; 12 July 2015, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Would be cool if it supported two SATA disks, so then you could run them with software RAID. Would be cool to run ZFS or Btrfs on that.

Does it support Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC?

Too bad its USB 3.0 and not the new USB 3.1.
      Would be sweet with USB 3.1 and have the whole device powered over USB.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Does it support Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC?
        Yes, Yes, Yes, No.

Comment

I have a baytrail NUC as a set top box running Kubuntu and Popcorn Time. This works playing 1080p as long as video decode is done using vaapi. Meaning, the PT built-in player will not cut it as it does not support vaapi. With MPV it works pretty good.

Maybe some software decode comparison would be interesting?

Comment

Originally posted by vwtch View Post
            The VGA port makes this the perfect device to replace millions of computers with monitors which don't have HDMI interfaces.
            Because a DP -> VGA adapter is prohibitvely expensive? Its ridiculous to continue to ship analog video outputs in 2015, when dvi-i and displayport both support VGA passthrough.

Its honestly pretty silly to have anything but displayport on any computer device anymore, since 1.3 is by far the best technically, its royalty free, and it supports every other display connector over it.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              Its honestly pretty silly to have anything but displayport on any computer device anymore
              I'm pretty sure that you don't work in an organization which has thousands, hundreds, or even dozens of computers which really need to be replaced without also replacing all of the displays. I'm also pretty sure that you don't use touchscreens, either, because the selection of touchscreens which have displayport is virtually nonexistent.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtch View Post
                I'm pretty sure that you don't work in an organization which has thousands, hundreds, or even dozens of computers which really need to be replaced without also replacing all of the displays. I'm also pretty sure that you don't use touchscreens, either, because the selection of touchscreens which have displayport is virtually nonexistent.
                Displayport supports inversion to every other display format there is. You can adapt a displayport computer to VGA, to DVI, or HDMI. Maybe the only thing missing is bloody s-video. It is a literal one size fits all display adapter. The alternative, like with this NUC, and with many Lenovo laptops, is fabricating stupid expensive VGA output hardware on computers with GPUs that never watn to have to emit analog signals, sticking a stupid useless obsolete port on every computer, and then use it once a century on a toaster projector.

Or you do what I do with my laptop, and have a $8 mini-dp to vga cable. And then still be able to plug it into a 4k tv, or a tv, or whatever I want, because I can convert to any other interface there is, and the vendor only needed to provide the digital displayport interface in a tiny profile.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  the vendor only needed to provide the digital displayport interface in a tiny profile.
                  Most NUC models come with displayport.

Comment

Working...
                  X