• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't matter

Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
    Wow, this could be misleading for the average Joe:

ATI HD4500 vs Intel 4500HD
    It wouldn't be so bad if they were neck to neck performance wise.
    I'm wondering how they'll compare.
    After years of struggling with ATI, I am glad to find an alternative that promises to work out-of-the-box. Goodbye ATI, I just recommended it to a friend, and will never purchase another ATI product in future. Doesn't matter if the G45 is 4 points slow in some test or 2 points slower in another, the result will still be enjoyable HD movie watching!

Hip hip Hooray! Freedom from buggy ATI drivers at last ..

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by HwyXingFrog View Post
      But lately I've been focusing on trying the AM2 based boards, the 780g and GF8200 (don't have a GF8200 yet, but I will be ordering one soon), and I even jumped the gun last year getting the 690g. And even have a BE-2350 and a 4850e.

I am MOST interested to see the power consumption comparisons for all of these chipsets in idle and while playing some H.264 content. My HTPC is running 24/7. Hoping to somehow be able to play uncompressed 1080p content in linux with one of these chipsets, I really want to get away from depending on Windows for my HTPC.

Mythbuntu 8.10 is going to be awesome on all these new boards.
      Do you use one HTPC for each eyeball and one for each ear or audio channel?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Ragool View Post
        Do you use one HTPC for each eyeball and one for each ear or audio channel?

Cheers
        Nope, just trying to find the right one to suit my needs. My current HTPC is using the GF8200 board (But still running windows XP). First it was the ATI 690g (Which has no hardware decoding), then the ATI 780g (This ended up going in my Ubuntu Desktop machine because it worked with Ubuntu 8.04 easily).

I'm in the middle of moving right now, but I'm hoping to try getting hardware decoding and HDMI audio working on the GF8200 in Ubuntu in XBMC.

I'm still waiting to see if they come out with an Atom based board with the Intel G45.

Comment

Nope, just trying to find the right one to suit my needs. My current HTPC is using the GF8200 board (But still running windows XP). First it was the ATI 690g (Which has no hardware decoding), then the ATI 780g (This ended up going in my Ubuntu Desktop machine because it worked with Ubuntu 8.04 easily).

I'm in the middle of moving right now, but I'm hoping to try getting hardware decoding and HDMI audio working on the GF8200 in Ubuntu in XBMC.

I'm still waiting to see if they come out with an Atom based board with the Intel G45.
          You see mto change hardware as frequently as some guys change girlfriends

There will be the dual core atom in Q4, then the via nano 3000 dual core and amd neo coming too

Good luck!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Ragool View Post
            You see mto change hardware as frequently as some guys change girlfriends

There will be the dual core atom in Q4, then the via nano 3000 dual core and amd neo coming too

Good luck!

Cheers
            Yeah, I've been changing so often trying to find the hardware that will suit my needs exactly. (Any old stuff I have just gets demoted to other pc's).

Once I find the hardware that does hardware decoding of 1080p h.264 in linux on a low power integrated graphics, I will be a happy camper.

So, if you know of a setup that works perfectly, and uses an average of 60 watts (mostly idle of course), let me know.

Comment

Yeah, I've been changing so often trying to find the hardware that will suit my needs exactly. (Any old stuff I have just gets demoted to other pc's).

Once I find the hardware that does hardware decoding of 1080p h.264 in linux on a low power integrated graphics, I will be a happy camper.

So, if you know of a setup that works perfectly, and uses an average of 60 watts (mostly idle of course), let me know.
              My 780G chipset mobo plays 720p and 1080p at 45 - 50% cpu on a 2.1ghz amd BE-2350 cpu. (To be honest it was until the latest 9.1 catalyst update, now its worse) Currently decoding is done by fglrx drivers and rendering by cpu hence the 40% utilization. Once both decode and render are done by GPU, it should be 5% cpu .. maybe 4-5 months down the line?

Total power consumption of 780G mobo and cpu is pegged at below 50W max at peak utilization - if memory serves me right - from the various reviews I read in the past.

Did you checkout the intel G45 chipset? OSS Xorg drivers that work Out-of-Box, is what I've heard.

Last week AMD released internal documentation on 3D programming of their R6xx/R7xx graphics cards, so OSS drivers that use OpenGL for graphics rendering besides gaming may be out in a few months.

Regards

Comment

I also have a 780g for my HTPC. I cracked it with constant issues with fglrx and bought a $30 Nvidia 8400GS and put it in the pcie slot. It runs a 4850e and a WD GreenPower 1tb drive with a Antec Earth Watts 380 watts power supply. It might use 15-20 watts more with the 8400GS, but it works without trouble. The 8400GS is a low power usage card, and the onboard video is no longer in use. Also Nvidia now supports VDPAU. I do not have anyway of measuring power usage, but it is now hassle free and running Ubuntu 8.10. I also have the sound running through the optical spdif from my Gigabyte motherboard, so sound decoding is done via my Yamaha amp. Configuring the sound was as simple as ticking digital out in the mixer.

I cannot confirm 1080p as it is attached to a Samsung 32" LCD through the VGA connector at 1360x768 at 60Hz. All video and HD TV playback is smooth and flicker free.

You could put in an Nvidia board and wait for fglrx to mature then pull it out. Mine has been in for a long time now.

Comment

Does anyone know if the Q45 chip-set ended-up using a cut down x4500 or just a straight x4500?

Here it seems to suggest x4500...

Here it suggests x4500HD

Also what's the actual difference between x4500 and x4500HD that enables the latter to do full 1080P playback?
                  Is it purely clock-speed?

Assuming that's all, would it be possible to OC Q45's x4500 to effectively turn it into a x4550HD?

Looking at Intel's site, it suggests the only difference is Intel Clear Video tech...
                  http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?id...26,35132,36524,
                  What does that actually mean in terms of GPU differences?

I also came across this which seems to suggest there's a Q45M which "does" incorporate CVT
                  Xoilac là trang web hoàn hảo để xem bóng đá và xem video trực tiếp độ phân giải cao. Đặc biệt, không có bất cứ quảng cáo xuất hiện trên Xoilac, vì vậy người xem vẫn thoải mái thưởng thức trận bóng đá mà không lo bị quấy rầy bởi quảng cáo. Ngoài ra, với đội ngũ nhiều chuyên môn, những dự báo chuẩn xác cho từng trận đấu bóng đá liên tục được tung ra. Sẽ lưu lại dấu ấn sâu đậm trong tâm trí người xem với màu sắc sinh động, âm thanh chân thực và cuốn hút trên Xoilac.

I can't find anything about this "mythical" Q45M so perhaps this is just marketing rubbish.
                  Last edited by jalyst; 26 July 2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

got a convo going here for those that may be interested

Comment

no one care to add some thoughts/advice?

Comment

Working...
                      X