No announcement yet.

Intel GMA X4500HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radeon X1800 XT (in this test) has equal performance as nVidia 7800 which is inside PS3, so unless somebody present benchmarks, I have no reason to believe PS3 can be much faster then Intel X4500.
    That was quite funny, thanks!

If you recall, the OSS drivers for R500 are far from mature. As the article noted, switching to fglrx roughly doubled performance (and as we all know, fglrx is not the most performant of drivers).

No, a shared-memory chip with a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 12.8GB/s (shared the CPU) is not able to compete with a high-end discrete card. What you are seeing is an artifact of the R500 driver immaturity, nothing more. You cannot really draw conclusions regarding chip performance from that

Comment

Why were there no comparison benchmarks for the Intel X3100 chipset, which was mentioned several times in the article?

It's important to provide results showing how Intel hardware and drivers have progressed, especially since the X3100 is a very common chip in laptops and desktop motherboards.

Comment

nvidia graphics comparisons

I really hoped to see comparisons to nvidia cards too. Also it would have been nice to compare to fglrx too, because even though it's closed it's probable that a great lot of people will use them. I think I've read on wikipedia that X4500 performance would be on par with nvidia 8400GS, would be nice to see that confirmed for performance in linux...
        Regards,

Michael

Comment

Audio over HDMI?

Does this motherboard (and the chipset too for that matter) support High Definition Audio over HDMI?

Also, if the hardware does, does latest ALSA and/or OSS support High Definition Audio over HDMI for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
          HDMI supports 8 channel uncompressed digital audio at 192 kHz sample rate with 24 bits/sample as well as compressed audio streams such as Dolby Digital and DTS. HDMI supports up to 8 channels of one-bit DSD audio, which is used on Super Audio CDs, at rates up to 4x that of Super Audio CD. With version 1.3, HDMI also supports lossless compressed audio streams such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Comment

If the Phoronix guys used something other than Ubuntu, they might realize that the openSUSE Build Service is perfect for something like this. They just happen to have an Xorg repository which grabs snapshots (from the main X components, to Mesa, to drivers) every couple days. It's like a gift from $DIETY for those of us tracking radeonhd and intel drivers.

Comment

I think in this case the choice of comparison cards and immature drivers for most of those cards makes the data rather inconclusive. There needed to be at least a comparison to x3100 and also a comparison with AMD IGPs(Since its about comparing the IGPs the data would actually be relevant). At least some results with fglrx would have been interesting. Also why not include Nvidia products as well?
              Originally posted by mycroes View Post
              I think I've read on wikipedia that X4500 performance would be on par with nvidia 8400GS, would be nice to see that confirmed for performance in linux...
              Regards,

Michael
              Don't hold your breath. Any IGP is going to get limited by their memory interface. Also whats that bit about the IGP hving both unified and vertex shaders about? What's the point of having both? Or are Intel just calling the pixel shaders unified and have vertex shaders as well?
              Last edited by Raven3x7; 02 August 2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
                They just happen to have an Xorg repository which grabs snapshots (from the main X components, to Mesa, to drivers) every couple days. It's like a gift from $DIETY for those of us tracking radeonhd and intel drivers.
                Gentoo has got something similiar as well. But Michael doesn't seem to like Gentoo, as he rarely mentions it anywhere.

Comment

I'm afraid the x11perf numbers are rather meaningless without more details about the respective setups. Specifically, I suspect the Radeon numbers were obtained with XAA instead of EXA (thus no RENDER acceleration, making the operation measured a software fallback) and/or the DRI disabled. With xf86-video-ati Git, EXA and the DRI enabled, I'm getting 2390.0/sec on an old Mobility Radeon 9700 even with compiz running. At least the X800XL and the X1800XT should be able to beat that easily.

Not to mention that something like -aa10text should be more relevant in practice.

Comment

you mean Shader Model 4.0, not 2.0.

Comment

and whan about HD video acceleration for X4500HD ? is it possible that in this year the Intel Clear Video Technology will implement in linux drivers ? what need for it ? vaapi ?

new motheboards from Intel with G45 chipset - special for HTPC

DG45FC Intel? G45 LGA775 mini-ITX
                      DG45ID Intel? G45 LGA775 Micro-ATX
                      Last edited by Goga777; 08 August 2008, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X