Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Mesa Driver Now Supports OpenGL 4.5's ARB_clip_control

Phoronix: Intel's Mesa Driver Now Supports OpenGL 4.5's ARB_clip_control

While the Radeon, Nouveau, and LLVMpipe/Softpipe drivers have already supported the OpenGL ARB_clip_control extension, the Intel (i965) driver now finally supports this OpenGL 4.5 extension too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this some kind of joke or late April's fool ?

We need OpenGL 4.0 first ! Why is Intel investing efforts on something else ??

Can Phoronix take an official position and ask Intel what are their plans for OGL 4.0 and when it will be finalized ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mcallegari View Post
      Is this some kind of joke or late April's fool ?

We need OpenGL 4.0 first !
      Seriously? You're complaining that an independent developer took some of his free time and implemented a feature on i965 that helps DX9 (and DX10? not sure) translators? [After also enabling the same feature on Gallium-based drivers last year.]

Get your head on straight -- don't complain about developers (who you're not supporting in any way) working on things that you don't at the moment care about.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
        Seriously? You're complaining that an independent developer took some of his free time and implemented a feature on i965 that helps DX9 (and DX10? not sure) translators? [After also enabling the same feature on Gallium-based drivers last year.]

Get your head on straight -- don't complain about developers (who you're not supporting in any way) working on things that you don't at the moment care about.
        And who told you I am not a developer or that I haven't contributed to open source projects or that I don't care about the status of the Intel driver in Mesa ?
        I don't have the specific skills to contribute to Mesa, but 99% of my spare time goes to open source projects.

I am not complaining about indipendent developers. I much appreciate when someone dedicate his spare time for the open source community.
        Apologies to Mathias for being considered an Intel guy, my bad.

I am puzzled by the fact that Intel seems to be not caring about Linux at the point that Windows has OGL 4.x drivers since years now and Linux is stuck on 3.3, blocking (or making life harder) to projects like Qt3D or video games developers, that can count on nVidia and ATI drivers and not on the Intel ones.

I am probably a dreamer, but I believe that supporting DX on Linux is the ultimate admission of being a follower and not a leader...thing that Linux can do without even caring that Windows exists.
        Moreover projects like Qt (again) chose OpenGL and not DirectX as primary 3D implementation.
        Then if you tell that 90% of the current video games can run on Mesa thanks to changes like Mathias', I agree with you and you have all my respect for trying such epic attempt.

Comment

I work for Intel on the 3D driver. I really avoid these forums because of the demotivational trash I read here every time I make the mistake of visiting.

And who told you I am not a developer or that I haven't contributed to open source projects or that I don't care about the status of the Intel driver in Mesa ?
          Totally irrelevant. No clue why you're even asking.

I don't have the specific skills to contribute to Mesa, but 99% of my spare time goes to open source projects.
          Cool. Please let us know what free software projects you work on so we can go shit on your contributions?

I am not complaining about indipendent developers. I much appreciate when someone dedicate his spare time for the open source community.
          Apologies to Mathias for being considered an Intel guy, my bad.
          You're just complaining about the Intel guys instead?

I am puzzled by the fact that Intel seems to be not caring about Linux at the point that Windows has OGL 4.x drivers since years now and Linux is stuck on 3.3, blocking (or making life harder) to projects like Qt3D or video games developers, that can count on nVidia and ATI drivers and not on the Intel ones.
          Presumably you're not aware of the fact that 3 of the top 5 committers to Mesa this year work for Intel, are you?

I am probably a dreamer, but I believe that supporting DX on Linux is the ultimate admission of being a follower and not a leader...thing that Linux can do without even caring that Windows exists.
          Moreover projects like Qt (again) chose OpenGL and not DirectX as primary 3D implementation.
          Then if you tell that 90% of the current video games can run on Mesa thanks to changes like Mathias', I agree with you and you have all my respect for trying such epic attempt.
          Again, no idea where you're going with this.

I've been contributing to X.Org and related projects for around seven years now. I really enjoy it. I really want free software to succeed, and not just because it's free and open but because it's the best.

That's the kind of driver my team's been trying to build at Intel for a really long time now. Unfortunately, no matter what we do -- what features implement, what games we optimize, what infrastructure we build -- there is just no end to the uninformed comments like yours on these forums, railing against how "Intel's not caring about Linux"

Truly baffling, especially in the context of all of the things that have been accomplished.

Worse yet, it's really demotivating.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
            Worse yet, it's really demotivating.
            I always worry that developers read comments on these forums. Please remember:

a) most people are extremely appreciative of free software developers' work
            b) negative people tend to be more vocal than positive people
            c) these forums are particularly bad when it comes to point b), especially when it comes to the subjects of various graphics drivers (both free and proprietary), and the Wine project

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Well, I just registered to answer in this thread.

I really appreciate the work Intel does and as a result my HTPC is driven by an Intel Haswell i5 - gives enough processing power for HD video and most games I care about!
              The experience is flawless so far - no visual problems, no problems with updates, everything just works.

So a big thumbs up to the open source graphic driver teams (not just Intel) for the work they do - paid or unpaid.

PS.: As many devs already noted, the remaining extensions for OGL 4 are either in the works or not widely used so no one seems to be able to find the enthusiasm to work on those.
              So working on real-world-extensions like the OGL 4.5 ones is more important than implementing some border-cases just to "finish" OGL 4.0.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                I work for Intel on the 3D driver. I really avoid these forums because of the demotivational trash I read here every time I make the mistake of visiting.
                Please don't let it get to you. Some of the posters here come from the bottom of the proverbial barrel, but there are many of us who really appreciate all the work that has gone into the free and open drivers.

We just don't babble as much, or got tired of it after years of systematic abuse against developers by "gimme gimme" kiddies.

Keep up the good work, you, other volunteers, and all the paid developers. Mesa (and drm drivers) is a massive, massive undertaking and some people simply have no idea of what an amazing achievement the open stack really is. I've been running this stuff since Utah-GLX days, and the Radeon stuff for almost a decade (the days when r600c only had basic 2D acceleration), and there are many others like me who appreciate all the effort and patience.

Comment

Working...
                X