Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    Not sure what you are trying to say.
    Vulkan is designed to overcome cpu overhead to optimize slow cpu with fast gpu systems. Intel with integrated graphics is the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Blah, sorry but that is "China is bigger then Japan" analogy
      Divide that by the size of the companies and what percentage per company you get then?
      It's doesn't really matter how big company are as we only care about amount of effort each company put into Linux graphics stack. It's pretty clear that without huge effort from Intel current state of AMD open graphics stack wouldn't be possible.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      @SSX
      Intel mobile SoC are pretty expensive, what you think is much is less than 4% marketshare.
      As far as news tell Intel sell these SoC for extremely low price. E.g they compensate it by some bonuses to manufacturers. And mobile market for Intel is bigger than Linux desktop market so it's mean they'll continue investments into open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
        It's doesn't really matter how big company are as we only care about amount of effort each company put into Linux graphics stack.
        Well size of the companies metter, if you dunno numbers let me help you... according to Wikipedia, number of employees in 2014.:

Intel 106,700
        AMD 9,687
        Nvidia 8,800

Lets be more... because, how do you think company size does not matter? Of course that China and India contribute the most to the world, we can mention that every day isn't it OK then "good morninng everybody without asians and their cheap workers our PCs should cost ?10.000 and much more." and every day like that

It's pretty clear that without huge effort from Intel current state of AMD open graphics stack wouldn't be possible.
        That is partly correct, i was one of the ATi mesa users 13 years ago too and radeon driver was there

You can only applaud to AMD like Khronos members on GDC did

Last edited by dungeon; 06 March 2015, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
          It's written to large parts by full time employees of amd and commited to mesa with accounts with their company mail addresses. If that's not official, what is?
          Srsly? They are officially developing this driver, yeeees. Does this make radeon to the official driver? Nooooo.
          Business world is all about support and certificates. Nobody will give you mesa driver support at this point. Therefore most linux game dev will give a fuck about your issues with mesa and therefore all the requiements state catalyst as driver (1, 2 exceptions sure) and therefore x-plane only runs with --force_run command line option aand therefore you will find catalyst at amd's homepage but you can't read about mesa.

Comment

Well size of the companies metter, if you dunno numbers let me help you... according to Wikipedia, number of employees in 2014.:
            Not all these people at Intel work on GPUs so this comparison is useless. And even if it's matter if we take graphics divisions only then 100k Intel vs 10k Nvidia or AMD GPU division (no idea how many people work there) it's wouldn't be much different.

That is partly correct, i was one of the ATi mesa users 13 years ago too and radeon driver was there
            Personally I didn't used Linux 13 years ago (may be 10-11 years), but more 10 years ago any open source graphics drivers was a joke. And 6 years ago it's was in really bad state still, but with Intel contributions to Mesa it's finally become usable. Not to say other guys didn't do anything, but Intel put a lot of effort into Mesa and graphics stack improvements overall.

You can only applaud to AMD like Khronos members on GDC did
            AMD's Khronos efforts have nothing to do with open source drivers and their influence on open source graphics stack.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
              Not all these people at Intel work on GPUs so this comparison is useless. And even if it's matter if we take graphics divisions only then 100k Intel vs 10k Nvidia or AMD GPU division (no idea how many people work there) it's wouldn't be much different.
              Well AMD does not have only GPU division too. It is equal to say, 100 Intel devs on 9 AMD devs and fuck you nvidia

Personally I didn't used Linux 13 years ago (may be 10-11 years), but more 10 years ago any open source graphics drivers was a joke. And 6 years ago it's was in really bad state still, but with Intel contributions to Mesa it's finally become usable. Not to say other guys didn't do anything, but Intel put a lot of effort into Mesa and graphics stack improvements overall.
              Yes, and did AMD too as much as they can.

AMD's Khronos efforts have nothing to do with open source drivers and their influence on open source graphics stack.
              Taking size of the companies and that same people can not be on the same place at once... Intel wouldn't have what to implement nor Vulkan if AMD did not give Mantle specs to Khronos

We can go this way every day... Kiss 10 asians every day as thanksgiving day to cheap electronics

Comment

We can go this way every day... Kiss 10 asians every day as thanksgiving day to cheap electronics
                Lol I don't think we asians would love your kiss . Just pay us a visit sometime when you have free time.

Anyway I don't really live in the place that exports electronics so myself is not counted in, am I ?

Comment

Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
                  Wow; Valve really does not let anything get in their way, do they?
                  *cough* The number 3 *cough*

Comment

You forget 10000 ppl at Globalfoundaries and and lots at TSMC as AMD was splitted and Nvidia never had own fabs. So you compare apples with oranges. Comparing AMD to Nvidia might be better. I don't know if it is funny or not as AMD and Nvidia both compete for being the first TSMC client to get shrinked chips... TSMC will use 16 nm soon, GF seems to be stuck at 28 nm, Intel uses 22 and 14 nm currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      You forget 10000 ppl at Globalfoundaries and and lots at TSMC as AMD was splitted and Nvidia never had own fabs. So you compare apples with oranges. Comparing AMD to Nvidia might be better. I don't know if it is funny or not as AMD and Nvidia both compete for being the first TSMC client to get shrinked chips... TSMC will use 16 nm soon, GF seems to be stuck at 28 nm, Intel uses 22 and 14 nm currently.
                      They are not getting stuck, there is no point to continue upgrading. Chip factories cost shit load of money: $5-10B. At these costs owning a fab just for you is stupid. Even Intel started producing other companies chips in their fabs.

Comment

Working...
                      X