X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mr_tawan
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    We can go this way every day... Kiss 10 asians every day as thanksgiving day to cheap electronics
    Lol I don't think we asians would love your kiss . Just pay us a visit sometime when you have free time.

Anyway I don't really live in the place that exports electronics so myself is not counted in, am I ?

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
    Not all these people at Intel work on GPUs so this comparison is useless. And even if it's matter if we take graphics divisions only then 100k Intel vs 10k Nvidia or AMD GPU division (no idea how many people work there) it's wouldn't be much different.
    Well AMD does not have only GPU division too. It is equal to say, 100 Intel devs on 9 AMD devs and fuck you nvidia

Personally I didn't used Linux 13 years ago (may be 10-11 years), but more 10 years ago any open source graphics drivers was a joke. And 6 years ago it's was in really bad state still, but with Intel contributions to Mesa it's finally become usable. Not to say other guys didn't do anything, but Intel put a lot of effort into Mesa and graphics stack improvements overall.
    Yes, and did AMD too as much as they can.

AMD's Khronos efforts have nothing to do with open source drivers and their influence on open source graphics stack.
    Taking size of the companies and that same people can not be on the same place at once... Intel wouldn't have what to implement nor Vulkan if AMD did not give Mantle specs to Khronos

We can go this way every day... Kiss 10 asians every day as thanksgiving day to cheap electronics

Leave a comment:

• SXX⁣
    replied
    Well size of the companies metter, if you dunno numbers let me help you... according to Wikipedia, number of employees in 2014.:
    Not all these people at Intel work on GPUs so this comparison is useless. And even if it's matter if we take graphics divisions only then 100k Intel vs 10k Nvidia or AMD GPU division (no idea how many people work there) it's wouldn't be much different.

That is partly correct, i was one of the ATi mesa users 13 years ago too and radeon driver was there
    Personally I didn't used Linux 13 years ago (may be 10-11 years), but more 10 years ago any open source graphics drivers was a joke. And 6 years ago it's was in really bad state still, but with Intel contributions to Mesa it's finally become usable. Not to say other guys didn't do anything, but Intel put a lot of effort into Mesa and graphics stack improvements overall.

You can only applaud to AMD like Khronos members on GDC did
    AMD's Khronos efforts have nothing to do with open source drivers and their influence on open source graphics stack.

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Originally posted by haagch View Post
    It's written to large parts by full time employees of amd and commited to mesa with accounts with their company mail addresses. If that's not official, what is?
    Srsly? They are officially developing this driver, yeeees. Does this make radeon to the official driver? Nooooo.
    Business world is all about support and certificates. Nobody will give you mesa driver support at this point. Therefore most linux game dev will give a fuck about your issues with mesa and therefore all the requiements state catalyst as driver (1, 2 exceptions sure) and therefore x-plane only runs with --force_run command line option aand therefore you will find catalyst at amd's homepage but you can't read about mesa.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    It's doesn't really matter how big company are as we only care about amount of effort each company put into Linux graphics stack.
    Well size of the companies metter, if you dunno numbers let me help you... according to Wikipedia, number of employees in 2014.:

Intel 106,700
    AMD 9,687
    Nvidia 8,800

Lets be more... because, how do you think company size does not matter? Of course that China and India contribute the most to the world, we can mention that every day isn't it OK then "good morninng everybody without asians and their cheap workers our PCs should cost ?10.000 and much more." and every day like that

It's pretty clear that without huge effort from Intel current state of AMD open graphics stack wouldn't be possible.
    That is partly correct, i was one of the ATi mesa users 13 years ago too and radeon driver was there

You can only applaud to AMD like Khronos members on GDC did

Last edited by dungeon; 06 March 2015, 04:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SXX⁣
    replied
    Blah, sorry but that is "China is bigger then Japan" analogy
    Divide that by the size of the companies and what percentage per company you get then?
    It's doesn't really matter how big company are as we only care about amount of effort each company put into Linux graphics stack. It's pretty clear that without huge effort from Intel current state of AMD open graphics stack wouldn't be possible.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @SSX
    Intel mobile SoC are pretty expensive, what you think is much is less than 4% marketshare.
    As far as news tell Intel sell these SoC for extremely low price. E.g they compensate it by some bonuses to manufacturers. And mobile market for Intel is bigger than Linux desktop market so it's mean they'll continue investments into open source drivers.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by log0 View Post
    Not sure what you are trying to say.
    Vulkan is designed to overcome cpu overhead to optimize slow cpu with fast gpu systems. Intel with integrated graphics is the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    @SSX

Intel mobile SoC are pretty expensive, what you think is much is less than 4% marketshare. The new Atom x3/x5 do not use Intel HD gfx and are not produced by Intel itself, but they are cheaper, lets wait for this years results. Btw. informer Intel often used PowerVR gfx cores for low power Atom chips.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    According to reports Intel has sold more than 40,000,000 mobile (smartphones, tablets) CPUs in 2015 and those mainly used on Android devices. Intel clearly lose money on that to get market share, but all these Android devices use Linux graphics stack.

Also Intel have like 60+ full time employees who work on Linux graphics stack (calculations from git logs there).
    This is likely more than AMD FOSS, AMD Catalyst (Linux) and Nvidia (Linux) have together.
    For example last time I count Mesa+Radeon+HSA developers of AMD there was like 15-20 guys.
    Blah, sorry but that is "China is bigger then Japan" analogy

Divide that by the size of the companies and what percentage per company you get then?

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    @eydee

You said Steam would count Optimus as Intel and I just explained the case where this is impossibe if you parse glxinfo (or the OpenGL renderer).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X