Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 5 Graphics Woes With Intel Broadwell HD Graphics

Phoronix: Mageia 5 Graphics Woes With Intel Broadwell HD Graphics

For the most part my Linux benchmarking of Intel Broadwell systems currently in the form of the ThinkPad X1 Carbon and Intel Broadwell NUC have been going great. Major Linux distributions tested on this latest-generation Intel hardware have been going well, but the first major failure I've run into on Broadwell was when firing up Mageia 5 Beta 3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mageia 5 - beta 3 is still a moving target.

Hi,

thanks for reporting this issue.
    Seems no-one else atleast in QA has a Broadwell system yet, so we rely on external testers too.

There has been many updates/fixes since beta3 was released, so please make sure the system is fully updated.

You need atleast all updates up to theese:

x11-driver-video-intel-2.99.917-10.mga5
    ldetect-lst-0.1.338-1.mga5

then if it does nor improve by those, try to reconfigure your xorg server with XFdrake

Comment

Pure logic would say: try vanilla kernel first.

Comment

did you compare beta with beta ?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Mageia 5 Graphics Woes With Intel Broadwell HD Graphics

Major Linux distributions tested on this latest-generation Intel hardware have been going well, but the first major failure I've run into on Broadwell was when firing up Mageia 5 Beta 3...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Broadwell-NUC
        If you didn't compare other beta distros with Mageia 5 Beta 3, it wasn't a real comparison.
        Maybe you are just learning what "beta" means ?

Comment

Originally posted by andr?33 View Post
          If you didn't compare other beta distros with Mageia 5 Beta 3, it wasn't a real comparison.
          Maybe you are just learning what "beta" means ?
          What are you talking about? Betas of Linux distributions are frequently tested at Phoronix. No other stable, rolling, or beta/development distribution I've tested has run into these Broadwell graphics issues.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Mageia 5 beta3 - I have issues with booting. I burn ISO (DVD Live KDE version) on a DVD. I check a md5sum and all is OK. Also I trying copy all data from this DVD to my HDD and all files copy without any issues but when I booting this DVD on my laptop i have issue.

No matter what i opt (Install or run LiveDVD) I see from a 15-30 min a mageia logo and see only that appear circles from the "boiler" - also in 15-30 min my dvd writer, trying a read file from dvd but after a 15-30 DVD no longer spend any noises and stops glowing.
            No longer then it does not, the installer did not even movements all the time I see only the logo Mageia.

Also Im trying a boot from SD card and USB flash. I burn ISO. I use for this a comand line "dd". But in this case, laptop not want boot. I see only black screen with a a blinking command line (and when a few months ago I installed Ubuntu 14.10 it worked without problems with the USB Flash Drive).

Comment

nomodeset and/or nolapic as bootoption are the ones needed the most. Remove splash and quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                What are you talking about? Betas of Linux distributions are frequently tested at Phoronix. No other stable, rolling, or beta/development distribution I've tested has run into these Broadwell graphics issues.
                Well, I'm actually "sort of happy" that you tested the beta.

Even I'm not happy with the bug, it's better to find it during beta cycle than in the final product.

Comment

Originally posted by t_m_b View Post
                  Well, I'm actually "sort of happy" that you tested the beta.

Even I'm not happy with the bug, it's better to find it during beta cycle than in the final product.
                  Hi

Thanks again for your feedback. We decided to buy some hardware with Broadwell HD Graphics to work on it. Well actually, Thomas worked hardly on it . It's now working properly using Mageia 5 RC isos which should be released today. We hope you will enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                  X