Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Broadwell HD Graphics 5500: Windows 8.1 vs. Linux

Phoronix: Intel Broadwell HD Graphics 5500: Windows 8.1 vs. Linux

Linux graphics tests of Intel's Broadwell hardware are finally here! Going back to November of 2013 is when Intel began putting out open-source Broadwell HD Graphics code. Since the initial Broadwell code drop, I've written dozens of articles to date covering the Linux kernel work, Mesa DRI OpenGL driver progress, Beignet OpenCL compute support, and other key Linux components work on Intel Broadwell support. A few days ago I received the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Core i7 Broadwell CPU to finally see how the Linux support has panned out for this next-generation line-up succeeding Haswell.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic!

Thank you, Michael, this is so exciting! It would be lovely to compare with (mobile) Haswell, particularly for the tests where there is, already, parity with the Windows drivers, so the optimizations seem to be mature at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
      Thank you, Michael, this is so exciting! It would be lovely to compare with (mobile) Haswell, particularly for the tests where there is, already, parity with the Windows drivers, so the optimizations seem to be mature at this point.
      Comparisons to various other laptops (probably on Ubuntu 15.04) will come in week or two, including my Iris Haswell Zenbook once I've migrated to the X1 Carbon as my main system. Albeit in the ~8 way laptop comparison it won't be straight comparisons due to varying screens, GPU class, CPU class, memory capacity, etc, for the various laptops I've bought over time.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Comparisons to various other laptops (probably on Ubuntu 15.04) will come in week or two, including my Iris Haswell Zenbook once I've migrated to the X1 Carbon as my main system. Albeit in the ~8 way laptop comparison it won't be straight comparisons due to varying screens, GPU class, CPU class, memory capacity, etc, for the various laptops I've bought over time.
        You should test with the very same resolution, use an external monitor if needed.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          You should test with the very same resolution, use an external monitor if needed.
          Well it will obviously all be same resolution, but likely going to do the least common denominator at 1400 x 1050 or 1280 x 1024, which should be fine anyhow for the integrated graphics.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Well it will obviously all be same resolution, but likely going to do the least common denominator at 1400 x 1050 or 1280 x 1024, which should be fine anyhow for the integrated graphics.
            Well, I's personally like to see 1080p and 720p. At minimum I'd stick with 16x10 or 16x9 resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Well, I's personally like to see 1080p and 720p. At minimum I'd stick with 16x10 or 16x9 resolutions.
              1080p would be too slow for many of the tests when getting Sandy Bridge and older.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

1080p would be too slow for many of the tests when getting Sandy Bridge and older.
                1280x1024 is enough, these comparisions are pretty useless anyway.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

1920x1080 and 1366x768 are more then half the market... Blah, just test 1366x768 that is most common resolution on laptops

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense. In that case I agree with dungeon about 1366x768

I still think benches should be run on aspect ratios that make sense for the screens people have.

Comment

Working...
                    X