Intel Haswell Linux OpenGL Driver Catching Up To The Windows Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
    Ah. I think I remember hearing that Second Life has broken shaders. You might try doing export allow_glsl_extension_directive_midshader=true before running Second Life.
    No go,

even worse the game throws asserts ASSERT (!LLGLSLShader::sNoFixedFunction || shader != NULL) so something buggy with GLSL program usage for some reason.

Comment

Tests

Regarding Triangle test, that doesn't test the OpenGL/3D driver, just windowing system memory bandwidth overhead. All that test does, is draw a *single* half screen triangle and clear rest of screen to black, on each frame (basically that's a single fullscreen memory write). With X and DRI2, there's a copy made of every non-Vsynched fullscreen frame (even although user won't see them as there are no monitors supporting >1000 Hz), which causes the difference between Windows and Linux in Ubuntu 14.04.

Running performance benchmarks on Ubuntu 14.10 SW versions is pretty pointless as it limits all tests to 60 FPS in fullscreen although applications disable Vsync (at least on Intel, with DRI3 enabled).

This is most visible in the Triangle tests, but you don't noticed the 60 FPS limit in Phoronix results because Phoronix doesn't report FPS with the results, although that's important for interpreting the results correctly.

PS. (One) Unvanguished patch seems to have gone in on 31st of Dec.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        @Kayden

Last time I asked when that super speed improvement kernel patch will be mainline no correct answer was made and something about vaapi was mentioned that would not work correctly. So when can we expect that mainline?
        My patch just landed in drm-intel-next today.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Is that the complete patch (against 3.18)?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Is that the complete patch (against 3.18)?

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-inte...a5aaf3d2eb670a
            Yes. It's really that simple.
            Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
            Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Working...
            X