Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases Beignet 1.0 For Open-Source OpenCL

Phoronix: Intel Releases Beignet 1.0 For Open-Source OpenCL

After two years of development by the Intel Open-Source Technology Center China crew, Beignet 1.0.0 was released this week for providing open-source OpenCL support on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news. Annoying is "4th Generation Intel Core Processors, need kernel patch currently, see the "Known Issues" section.".

Comment

Is there a way to set up your system to use the intel gpu opencl and have radeon do the graphics stuff.

And will we ever get a way to combine stuff (ie use both for opencl)

Comment

Excellent news. I've been experimenting with beignet since the beginning when it was an unusable mess. However, for some months now it's been improving so much that it's able to run most kernels thrown at it. This 1.0.0 release is just a confirmation of these recent improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Is there a way to set up your system to use the intel gpu opencl and have radeon do the graphics stuff.
          I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I haven't tried.

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          And will we ever get a way to combine stuff (ie use both for opencl)
          Only if the application supports it, and I doubt many do. Buffer migration between different opencl implementations is not cheap. Your best bet is to configure application A to use intel opencl and application B to use amd.

Maybe future opencl versions will support it.

Comment

darktable & beignet

I wonder if with the 1.0 release there could be more hope that Darktable will include support for OpenCL on intel Ivy Bridge and above...

There was some old discussion on beignet in their development lists but nothing lately. It is a pity that currently they only support OpenCL with proprietary Nvidia y AMD drivers. There are zillions of inexpensive Intel-integrated graphics mobos that would benefit from beignet support in opensource apps.

Comment

Originally posted by ariel View Post
              I wonder if with the 1.0 release there could be more hope that Darktable will include support for OpenCL on intel Ivy Bridge and above...

There was some old discussion on beignet in their development lists but nothing lately. It is a pity that currently they only support OpenCL with proprietary Nvidia y AMD drivers. There are zillions of inexpensive Intel-integrated graphics mobos that would benefit from beignet support in opensource apps.
              Darktable just has to include support for a specific OpenCL version, period. If Beignet doesn't properly support the standard, that's hardly the responsibility of the Darktable developers. But has I said before, Beignet has come a long way, so Darktable might actually work with Intel integrated GPUs. Seeing that NVidia's OpenCL implementation is still at version 1.1, and Beignet's at 1.2, it's actually very likely since Darktable probably targets the lowest common denominator, i.e. OpenCL 1.1.
              Last edited by fakenmc; 16 November 2014, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Darktable already has OpenCL support, but it only works with Nvidia and AMD binary drivers.
                Same as the linux version of AfterShot.

Random recent reference:
                darktable is an open source photography workflow application and raw developer

Comment

Isn't this a question for the dark table developers.

That being said I can't imagine that they wouldn't suppirt OpenCL for Intel - eventually. Surprisingly Intels GPUs do really well for certain OpenCL workloads.

Originally posted by ariel View Post

Comment

Hello to all!

Is there a quick way to deploy Beignet 1.0 on Ubuntu Trusty? I just checked the repos and the Beignet version there is shown as 0.3...

Any advice? Will there be a need to install supplementary stuff for the Intel GPU?

I have a Galago Ultrapro and I'm planning to get some code on its GPU running...

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X