Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Publishes DRM Driver For PowerVR Video Decoder! VP8 Decoding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing about Poulsbo?

When I saw Intel and PowerVR and hoped I'd read Poulsbo somewhere in the news... but nothing about it. This sucks so badly... Come on, Intel, it's not THAT old. There are way older drivers still in action, but Poulsbo (GMA500) is still poorly supported.

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
      Come on, Intel, it's not THAT old.
      It's older than Ironlake and Intel doesn't care about that anymore. And that's with Ironlake being Intel's own GPU!

The thing is though, even if Intel wanted to do something about Poulsbo, what could they, considering the Poulsbo GPU isn't theirs? It's PowerVR you should be yelling at.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        Of course you did, it was very well known what's pvr: GMA500/600 (Poulsbo) and GMA3600/3650 (CedarView). Netbooks never used anything but those. Pure Intel was GMA3150 (Pineview). So very easy to know what to steer clear from.

Nowadays there's no problem, Baytrail netbooks and laptops actually use Celeron and Pentium brands with an N in front of the model number - for example, Celeron N2805 or Pentium N3510.
        Not quite correct; the very first netbooks (for example, Atom N270) used i915-family graphics. I know this because I'm still using one (AOA150).
        But those did disappear pretty quickly, which is why I bought an AMD-based laptop (Thinkpad X100e).

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
          Not quite correct; the very first netbooks (for example, Atom N270) used i915-family graphics. I know this because I'm still using one (AOA150).
          Yeah, I have one of those too, except mine is an AOA110, Acer's very first netbook , these things have a GMA950 (gen3), which is indeed Intel's. I meant of the non-Intel GPUs, GMA500/600 and GMA3600/3650 are the only ones found in netbooks, so you could easily know which netbook not to buy. There's a few more non-Intel GPUs, but you'd only find them in tablets.

Comment

Does that mean that the CE5315 atom as used in the thecus N2520 will get more linux support?
            I'd rather run a 3.18 kernel on my N2520, than have video decoding capabilities...

Comment

Working...
            X