Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Publishes DRM Driver For PowerVR Video Decoder! VP8 Decoding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Publishes DRM Driver For PowerVR Video Decoder! VP8 Decoding!

Phoronix: Intel Publishes DRM Driver For PowerVR Video Decoder! VP8 Decoding!

Well, this is an exciting way to start off Monday morning... Intel developers published an open-source DRM driver for Imagination Technologies PowerVR decoder hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, we will have Video Acceleration on PowerVR without 3D acceleration?
    Or now we have full support?

Comment

Wait, so Bay Trail includes two different hardware decoders for video?
      Wow, that's... inefficient.

Comment

Is this PowerVR block even in Mini PC - Intel? NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE? (IIRC that's also Bay Trail-based). If that's the case, I can't wait for the UHD & MVC support to appear in ffmpeg->Kodi (XBMC)->OpenELEC.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          Yes.

"In a bizarre move, a VXD392 decode block is still included from Img - despite Intel's own decoder being present in the design. There's a lot of guessing we can do as to why, including having a discussion around power efficiency of decode engines, but otherwise it's unclear why Intel opted to implement both decoders. There's support for hardware accelerated 1080p60 video decode (or 2 x 1080p30 streams). The usual codecs are listed (VC1, H.264, MPEG1/2/4) as well as some additions due to the VXD392 block (WebM, JPEG)."
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Imageon Technologies have custom vendor-specific drivers for each customer.
            So this PowerVR driver by Intel driver will useless for PowerVR on non-Intel hardware.

Best is stay as far away from shitty PowerVR as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
              Each hw block supports different video formats. In most cases the blocks should be able to be power gated so they won't really use much additional power when not in use, so really the only downside is additional die space.

Comment

VR Zone is a news and information portal approaching a wide range of topics, tailored to readers interested in technology, computers, business, travel & living, home improvement, spot, and more other subjects of interest.

14nm Cherry Trail/Braswell ditches PowerVR VXD394 for Intel's own Gen8 media decoder.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Imageon Technologies have custom vendor-specific drivers for each customer.
                  So this PowerVR driver by Intel driver will useless for PowerVR on non-Intel hardware.

Best is stay as far away from shitty PowerVR as you can.
                  Exactly that. And for me that also included intel. (Not only for ImgTec stuff though). But you never knew if you were getting a "real" intel when intel was printed on a chip. Could as well be Poulsbo type stuff and then you were lost.
                  And yes, "custom vendor-specific drivers" was told to me by some X hackers (incl. libv) years ago, too. That is really the problem so even reverse engineering is quite futile since you'll only gain support for one specific chip.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    But you never knew if you were getting a "real" intel when intel was printed on a chip.
                    Of course you did, it was very well known what's pvr: GMA500/600 (Poulsbo) and GMA3600/3650 (CedarView). Netbooks never used anything but those. Pure Intel was GMA3150 (Pineview). So very easy to know what to steer clear from.

Nowadays there's no problem, Baytrail netbooks and laptops actually use Celeron and Pentium brands with an N in front of the model number - for example, Celeron N2805 or Pentium N3510.

I see no reason to steer clear of Baytrail. Intel did exactly the right thing, they ditched pvr in favor of their own GPUs, which have full open source support. I can confirm this first hand, since two weeks or so I have a netbook with a Celeron N2806. This thing is awesome, out-of-the-box OpenGL 3.3 (the hardware can do more, but mesa currently can't) and hardware video decoding (the Intel media block: mpeg2, vc1 and h264), all fully open source. And with the code released today for the pvr media block, VP8 joins the other three codecs. Not that I care much about VP8, but hey, for completeness sake .

BTW, it was mentioned back in July on the libva mailing list that this code for the VP8 decoder is coming: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ly/002514.html, so this announcement today isn't a surprise to me.
                    Last edited by Gusar; 13 October 2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X