Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Publishes Initial Skylake Linux Graphics Support

Phoronix: Intel Publishes Initial Skylake Linux Graphics Support

While Intel's Skylake isn't arriving until the second half of 2015 as the successor to Broadwell, the Intel Open-Source Technology Center has already published their initial Linux enablement for Skylake with its HD Graphics "Gen 9" display hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So... Skymont/Skymount/Cannonlake in 2016?

Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
      So... Skymont/Skymount/Cannonlake in 2016?

Crazy.
      And also Skybridge
      Last edited by xxmitsu; 10 September 2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I hope some Skylake motherboard will support my 1.5V DDR3 1333 memory or upgrade will be expensive when performance difference is considered.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
          I hope some Skylake motherboard will support my 1.5V DDR3 1333 memory or upgrade will be expensive when performance difference is considered.
          DDR3-1333 will be very crippling then..... Might be supported by the DDR3-supported Skylake mobos, but certainly a bottleneck for memory bandwidth.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

finally VGA is gone. Now only if optical drives would follow suit it'll be possible to have thin and cheap laptops. I'll most likely upgrade on cannonlake. I'm curious if we'll have a sillicon replacement come the 20s?!

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
              finally VGA is gone. Now only if optical drives would follow suit it'll be possible to have thin and cheap laptops. I'll most likely upgrade on cannonlake. I'm curious if we'll have a sillicon replacement come the 20s?!
              Optical drives already are gone in many thin and cheap laptops. And many already don't have VGA connectors. You don't need deprecation of the support from the chipset to stop using the features.

And silicon replacement for what? Optical disks? Have you not heard of NAND flash?

Comment

finally VGA is gone.
                Originally posted by article
                Some other things to note is that Intel Gen 9 graphics completely do away with VGA connector support (finally!),
                Please welcome to the world of DRM. VGA was the last mainstream connector that this feature could not be implemented on.

VGA provides a decent graphic quality, while the connector is not that bulky and could fit in all but the thinnest of laptops (even my sister's thin ultrabook has one).

Additionally, many projectors in lecture halls and similar support only the VGA connector (there is a cable running in the wall from the projector on the ceiling to a wall "outlet" and often it is just VGA, with no support for other standards; it was so at my Uni at least, even in halls that were completely renovated like 2 years ago).

A monitor that my mum bought some year - two years ago also had only a VGA connector.

Now only if optical drives would follow suit it'll be possible to have thin and cheap laptops. I'll most likely upgrade on cannonlake. I'm curious if we'll have a sillicon replacement come the 20s?!
                The DVD drive is not so expensive to make such a big difference on laptop prices.
                Last edited by Mat2; 11 September 2014, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                  Optical drives already are gone in many thin and cheap laptops. And many already don't have VGA connectors. You don't need deprecation of the support from the chipset to stop using the features.

And silicon replacement for what? Optical disks? Have you not heard of NAND flash?
                  Silicon replacement for the cpu.

Comment

DDR4 will be the way to go by then.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    DDR3-1333 will be very crippling then..... Might be supported by the DDR3-supported Skylake mobos, but certainly a bottleneck for memory bandwidth.
                    It would be very uninformed to by one of these systems and run old slow memory on it. Anybody seriously thinking about DDR3 needs to have their head examined. As you note memory bottle necks will be a huge problem and I fact has been a huge problem with all "APU's" to date. It would be very crippling to implement one of these machines with old RAM.

The real question is just how fast will they be running DDR4 on these machines. There is a huge upside potential if the tech is shippable

Comment

Working...
                    X