Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Is Already Working On Linux Graphics Support For Skylake

Phoronix: Intel Is Already Working On Linux Graphics Support For Skylake

While we're still waiting until around the end of the year to see Broadwell processors, Intel's Open-Source Technology Center is already prepping Linux graphics driver code to begin pushing Skylake support into their driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Skylake is the successor to Broadwell that's expected to be out in late 2015 but could slip into 2016.

Skylake is expected to come out mid 2015, in particular Skylake-S.

Comment

Doing it the RIGHT way

Every single Linux user owes Intel a debt of gratitude for the extensive support that it puts into a 100% open-source graphics infrastructure. That extends WAY beyond merely releasing GPL'd drivers BTW. Any AMD GPU owners out there? You like the fact that your newer AMD cards can finally work with X.org in 2D thanks to Glamor? Well, thank Intel since they were the first ones to develop Glamor. Same thing goes for DRI, which Keith Packard (an Intel employee) spearheaded.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        Every single Linux user owes Intel a debt of gratitude for the extensive support that it puts into a 100% open-source graphics infrastructure. That extends WAY beyond merely releasing GPL'd drivers BTW. Any AMD GPU owners out there? You like the fact that your newer AMD cards can finally work with X.org in 2D thanks to Glamor? Well, thank Intel since they were the first ones to develop Glamor. Same thing goes for DRI, which Keith Packard (an Intel employee) spearheaded.
        Are you sure about DRI ? My understanding was that DRI was developed by Precision Insight with funding from SGI and Red Hat. Everyone went to PI for their DRI drivers back then, including both Intel and ATI.
        Test signature

Comment

Any AMD GPU owners out there? You like the fact that your newer AMD cards can finally work with X.org in 2D thanks to Glamor? Well, thank Intel since they were the first ones to develop Glamor.
          Thank you Intel .

Same thing goes for DRI, which Keith Packard (an Intel employee) spearheaded.
          I was an user of r200 driver with XFree86 in year 2004 . Keith Packard was not Intel employee at that time (maybe something like 2-3 years after that). But anyway thank you Keith Packard .

The Weather Channel (TM) funded Tungsten Graphics to develop the
          initial release of the Radeon 8500 driver under the XFree86 license.
          That is year 2002. maybe less than that with the specs from ATi under NDA!!! Good morning Nvidia and sleep well .

Comment

Every single Linux user owes Intel a debt of gratitude for the extensive support that it puts into a 100% open-source graphics infrastructure. That extends WAY beyond merely releasing GPL'd drivers BTW.
            I am on the same page. I bought my current desktop, well, the parts, right after launch (a month later, maybe?). The (then) current Ubuntu release _worked_ to some extent, but with no acceleration, becuase the kernel was a couple releases old. But even with that, it did work, no crashes, no nothing, just slow 3D. The next release (a couple months later) was already as fast as it ever got, with performance levels really close to the ones in the windows driver. What else could I ask for, really? Stable, fast, open source, built upstream and worked out ahead of time. Lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              I am on the same page. I bought my current desktop [snip]
              Sorry, I meant to say "current Haswell desktop"

Comment

Originally posted by mikkl View Post
                Skylake is expected to come out mid 2015, in particular Skylake-S.
                Are you sure? Who will buy a Broadwell system in late 2014 if after 6 months Skylake will be released?

Broadwell should be already released, but consider that there is no more a lot of innovations to put in newer generations of processors to justify a system upgrade (except for pc enthusiasts), so they will stretch the 1-year-release interval to 1,5 or 2 years.
                Probably Broadwell is already finished, polished and just sitting there waiting the marketing dept. for a release date.
                My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by BubuXP View Post
                  Are you sure? Who will buy a Broadwell system in late 2014 if after 6 months Skylake will be released?

Broadwell should be already released, but consider that there is no more a lot of innovations to put in newer generations of processors to justify a system upgrade (except for pc enthusiasts), so they will stretch the 1-year-release interval to 1,5 or 2 years.
                  Probably Broadwell is already finished, polished and just sitting there waiting the marketing dept. for a release date.
                  My 2 cents.

Old fashion system upgrades are pointless. Intel doesn't care about the desktop anymore. They'll do whatever it takes to release a product that will give them edge over competitors in the current and emerging mobile markets (notebooks, tablets, phones). Therefore, it does make sense for Intel to jump to Skylake in 2015 when it was supposed to be out according to the old plans. On the other hand this might put them in a difficult position because after Skylake yet another die shrink should come and if they don't have enough time to perfect the new process they risk doing the same mistake twice.

Comment

Are you sure?

Intel is sure, it's not me who is saying that just for fun. Just check out the Roadmaps and news.

Who will buy a Broadwell system in late 2014 if after 6 months Skylake will be released?

Check out some news about Skylake-S, you might get a better idea about their plan then.

Comment

Working...
                    X