Intel Is Getting Very Close To OpenGL 4.0/4.1/4.2 Mesa Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
    In my experience, google chrome aura, freeze the desktop aferter 1 or 2 horus of usage, with opensource drivers and closed drivers of amd, with nvidia not.
    Now I can only use chromium 31....

The games are too slow compared with windows, and the only compositor that works good for me, with my apu, is kwin with gl3..., but with compiz , scrolling on firefox is so slow and the system laggish every hour.
    With mutter the same, crashes every 2 or 3 hours.
    1.) you need 35 for optimal aura and enable hardware accel options, otherwise is a crash fest
    2.) i suspect you have very old kernel / mesa and you got a memory leak around
    3.) for better performance you need latest GIT code, probably your stack is too old
    4.) let compiz die <-- for real is not a joke
    5.) disable Xrender in firefox and force enable layers and async render in about:config
    6.) mutter works best with 3.12 and you need Xorg 1.16 with in server glamor(dunno why tho, just got a lot better)
    7.) again memory leak in old stack

if you wanna use opensource drivers the bare minimun possible is ubuntu 14.04 and the best possible is Arch + lcarlier repo, anything below this requirements is just too old, specially for radeonsi hardware

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      I still see little point in celebrating.
      Intel GPUs are too slow for most OpenGL 4.x games.
      A real gamer would buy NVIDIA.
      There are not much options as AMD also totally fails with their open source plans.
      I've tried Radeons every now and then and typically the drivers hang the machine during the first 15 minutes of testing.
      And i don't get it

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        And i don't get it
        I'm just saying you should focus on NVIDIA. Both FOSS drivers are nice as are proprietary. FOSS in long term, in short term the closed source drivers solve the problems people are having. Intel GPUs are nice for light desktop use though. AFAIK they already support 32" IPS screens fully (2560x1600) unless you need 4k. So they pretty much cover all screens for normal office use. For games, I think geforce 760 is the minimum. I bought gf 770 and even that is a bit slow for most demanding games. I really like my Haswell systems too. For example ultrabook and very long battery life. But I don't need opengl in that use.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          And i don't get it
          He's an Nvidia troll. The only thing he said that is a fact is that Intel GPUs are slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            He's an Nvidia troll. The only thing he said that is a fact is that Intel GPUs are slow.
            I'm not a fan of intel but I think intel deserves a little more credit. When you consider the clock rates and the relatively low number of transistors involved in intel's IGPs, they're actually pretty good. And in turn, when you consider the power efficiency. I think if intel got into discrete GPUs they could put some serious competition in place against nvidia and AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              1.) you need 35 for optimal aura and enable hardware accel options, otherwise is a crash fest
              2.) i suspect you have very old kernel / mesa and you got a memory leak around
              3.) for better performance you need latest GIT code, probably your stack is too old
              4.) let compiz die <-- for real is not a joke
              5.) disable Xrender in firefox and force enable layers and async render in about:config
              6.) mutter works best with 3.12 and you need Xorg 1.16 with in server glamor(dunno why tho, just got a lot better)
              7.) again memory leak in old stack

if you wanna use opensource drivers the bare minimun possible is ubuntu 14.04 and the best possible is Arch + lcarlier repo, anything below this requirements is just too old, specially for radeonsi hardware
              1) I tried with chrome 35 stable,. and beta and dev
              2) I use kernel 3.15 and mesa git form oibaf on ubuntu or mesa git from mesa git repo on archlinux
              3) My stack is soo fresh
              4) the problem is with compiz and with mutter
              5) If I try to enable layers and async, firefox crash and give me artifacts
              6) mutter go best with 3.12 but my problem persist, crash after 3 or 4 hours of usage or a big lag.
              7) I suffer memory leak with all new, I am freak and I need to use the last software.

Finally, now I am using pclinux os with kwin, mesa 10.2.2 and chromium 31 and no freeze, after 4 days of usage

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                I'm just saying you should focus on NVIDIA. Both FOSS drivers are nice as are proprietary.
                Ah yes, now i get it .

You mention RS690 chipset about your AMD experience, what is similar for NVIDIA Something like 6150SE IGP maybe - does that works fine with nouveu? Maybe, but i don't think so .

Those RS and PX chips are know to be slow or problematic for radeon driver, i can only add HAWAII based cards which does not currently have acell... And that is all, beside those known problematic combinations, let say 98% of other AMD Radeon chips works fine with opensource driver in Linux .

Nouveau is reinged driver, the best one can get is something like r300 driver from around year 2005. . And i don't have nothing against that reverse engineered community around nouveau and i understend they pretty much like it doing it that way but i do think they would need support from the company better sooner then later - otherwise it will never be in the state like Intel's and AMD's opensource drivers .

Comment

1) I tried with chrome 35 stable,. and beta and dev
                  2) I use kernel 3.15 and mesa git form oibaf on ubuntu or mesa git from mesa git repo on archlinux
                  3) My stack is soo fresh
                  4) the problem is with compiz and with mutter
                  5) If I try to enable layers and async, firefox crash and give me artifacts
                  6) mutter go best with 3.12 but my problem persist, crash after 3 or 4 hours of usage or a big lag.
                  7) I suffer memory leak with all new, I am freak and I need to use the last software.

Finally, now I am using pclinux os with kwin, mesa 10.2.2 and chromium 31 and no freeze, after 4 days of usage
                  1.) i have Arch 3.16-rc6 and lcarlier git stack
                  2.) never had a problem with chromium aura
                  3.) mutter(wayland and X11) works rock solid for me(kwin never fails to me either)
                  4.) i do this since firefox 20ish never any issue
                  5.) dunno my system don't leak memory since ages ago(kernel before DPM)

so the only thing i can guess is your problem is hardware version related. My hardware is as follow

AMD FX 6100 zambezi OC 4Ghz
                  16 Gb DDR3 1866
                  Radeon HD 7700 Cape Verde
                  Chipset AMD 970
                  RadeonSI user

what hardware do you have? please note for recent APU's you need fixes in 3.16 kernel and LLVM 3.5svn

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    1.) i have Arch 3.16-rc6 and lcarlier git stack
                    2.) never had a problem with chromium aura
                    3.) mutter(wayland and X11) works rock solid for me(kwin never fails to me either)
                    4.) i do this since firefox 20ish never any issue
                    5.) dunno my system don't leak memory since ages ago(kernel before DPM)

so the only thing i can guess is your problem is hardware version related. My hardware is as follow

AMD FX 6100 zambezi OC 4Ghz
                    16 Gb DDR3 1866
                    Radeon HD 7700 Cape Verde
                    Chipset AMD 970
                    RadeonSI user

what hardware do you have? please note for recent APU's you need fixes in 3.16 kernel and LLVM 3.5svn
                    No hadrware problems because in windows I have a fantastic performance with black ops 2, battlefield 4 , f1 2013 etc and never freeeze,this only happen on gnome shell and unity.

My apu is a a8 5600k, I can't use radeon pdm because when I enable this I have choppy sound and I need to boot with radeon.dpm=0

With kwin and chromium 31, no problems, the problem is chrome aura and the shit of pepper flash.

Comment

use non free drivers

No hadrware problems because in windows I have a fantastic performance with black ops 2, battlefield 4 , f1 2013 etc and never freeeze,this only happen on gnome shell and unity.

My apu is a a8 5600k, I can't use radeon pdm because when I enable this I have choppy sound and I need to boot with radeon.dpm=0

With kwin and chromium 31, no problems, the problem is chrome aura and the shit of pepper flash.

use non free drivers or upgrade to kernel 3.16 with the free drivers, if you use ubuntu use this repo and download chrome 34 http://mirror.pcbeta.com/google/chro...chrome-stable/

and i doubt with this apu you have great performance with these games you talking (maybe with low setting and low res)

Comment

Working...
                      X