Intel Is Getting Very Close To OpenGL 4.0/4.1/4.2 Mesa Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    what OS are you using and which card? i have a radeon HD 4850X2, 4250, 7700 and Kabini APU and i had never seen a system hang since 3.8 kernel

and OpenGL is used for a lot more than just games, don't be an ass

BtW radeonSI driver is actually pretty close to intel support for GL 4+
    I have integrated radeon on some AM2 AMD64 board and have tried ubuntus. E.g. 12.04 hanged before X desktop appeared. The installer showed up however. Also 11.x releases didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      I have integrated radeon on some AM2 AMD64 board and have tried ubuntus. E.g. 12.04 hanged before X desktop appeared. The installer showed up however. Also 11.x releases didn't work.
      AM2 should kaveri or previous generations, so ubuntu 12.04 and inferior are way too old for that hardware, if you wanna stick with ubuntu upgrade to 14.04 and add oibaf PPA, another good options are latest fedora or opensuse or arch

mmm AM2 is not FM2 my bad, in any case try ubuntu 14.04, 12.04 is really old

Comment

mmm AM2 should be chipset 690G and that GPU don't have vertex shaders among other things, so i believe is way faster just to use LLVMpipe for desktops rendering because that IGP won't ever be able to be used for gaming or anything beyond OpenGL2 with software fallback for vertex shaders

Comment

mmm AM2 should be chipset 690G and that GPU don't have vertex shaders among other things, so i believe is way faster just to use LLVMpipe for desktops rendering because that IGP won't ever be able to be used for gaming or anything beyond OpenGL2 with software fallback for vertex shaders
          Maybe this tech specs help you

This IGP have 4 Pixel shaders / 2 Vertex Shaders / 4 TMUs / 4 Rops / 80nm but directx features stay limited to DirectX 9.0b (This IGP is Shader Model 2: Pixel Shader 2.0b - Vertex Shader 2.0b) and OpenGL 2.0

Comment

what OS are you using and which card? i have a radeon HD 4850X2, 4250, 7700 and Kabini APU and i had never seen a system hang since 3.8 kernel

and OpenGL is used for a lot more than just games, don't be an ass

BtW radeonSI driver is actually pretty close to intel support for GL 4+
            In my experience, google chrome aura, freeze the desktop aferter 1 or 2 horus of usage, with opensource drivers and closed drivers of amd, with nvidia not.
            Now I can only use chromium 31....

The games are too slow compared with windows, and the only compositor that works good for me, with my apu, is kwin with gl3..., but with compiz , scrolling on firefox is so slow and the system laggish every hour.
            With mutter the same, crashes every 2 or 3 hours.

Comment

Isn't the GLSL work GPU vendor neutral?

If so, then the work Intel is doing on GLSL (tons of patches I see) will benefit everyone at least?

Shawn

Comment

it will ready for the end of year

intel wants opengl 4.2 ready for new gen in the end of year, look like we will have a 10.3 -> 11.0

opengl 5 is not critical for now

Comment

I still see little point in celebrating. Intel GPUs are too slow for most OpenGL 4.x games.
                  That might very well be true, but I think it is important to keep in mind that games are just one of many use cases for OpenGL.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
                    GLSL 4.00 isn't really a thing btw -- it doesn't add anything on top of, say, GLSL 1.50... it's just the collection of extensions that enable the various functionality.
                    For anyone interested, I peeked into the GLSL specs and for 410, it seems 100% of the changes are contained withing the extensions for 4.1. For 4.2, there are a couple ones I couldn't attribute to extensions, such as removal of deprecated keywords (varying, attribute), UTF-8 as source character set, scoped variables in if-else blocks and others. All in all very minor things IMO.

Comment

iris and new gen

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                      That might very well be true, but I think it is important to keep in mind that games are just one of many use cases for OpenGL.

Cheers,
                      _
                      iris 5200 pro is at level of 740m is the better igp out there, the better apu can't compete against this gpu

Comment

Working...
                      X