Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    ^I think some thoughts collided there.
    That and thats not needed anyways, all CPU/RAM/Bus overclocking should be done in the BIOS/EFI, the only thing we need is for someone to get NVClock and ROClock working again for GPU overclocking. NVClock used to work quite well back about 7 years ago when I was still using an old Geforce 6200 AGP to play Regnum Online/Realms Online/Champions Of Regnum back when it first came out of beta, using NVClock I was able to get another 5-7 FPS out of the card on the spare box so I could have 2 accounts running at the same time.

[OT]
    The game had no mass storage function or auction house at the time, so I had my own personal item stash chars and had the logins to one of the clan's bank/storage account so I could stow or loan equipment to other clan members. We only kept the best of the best stuff for each class and level so if someone wanted to make a new char they could breeze through the early parts of the game with the best equipment possible. If you created a new account one of the bank members/invite capable members would meet you at the starting point of the game, load you up with gear through Lv10 and invite the new char to the clan. All under the conditions that you'd return the gear to the bank fully repaired, as equipment took damage that cost gold to have repaired in shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
      For many tasks in the testing process, the pentium manages to beat the Core i3. Not bad for a CPU 40? cheaper (yes, I'm french). It's just a pity the graphics part is so limited.

Still a good runner for cheap web-browsing/office/videoplay machine.
      This and the way Micheal reports the graphics performance..
      I think you have misunderstood what the target market is. Or at the least you don't see the use case were the G3258 will have most potential.

I want to see game benchmarks using these CPUs with maybe 1-3 different discreet GPUs. It shouldn't be a bottleneck overclocked to 4.2GHz even, and considering many linux games and ports have poor multicore support anyway, the G3258 should lower the price (or power usage if moving from AMD) of decent steamboxes significantly.

The next test that would be the most interesting to see is how much of a motherboard is needed to get it to a decent overclock that is still power efficient. Since it's only 2 cores and since there is voltage regulation inside the CPU, it should really not need a expensive board. Don't forget that the expensive boards are made for 4 core 4GHz CPUs with much more power hungry internal GPUs, and that the internal GPU of the G3258 shoud really just be turned off.
      Also the memory control is in the CPU right? so really any of the cheapest Z87 boards or maybe even H87 boards should work fine, even with 4.2GHz clock and memories at maybe 2133MHz. (To be frank though I would get a Z97 for the M.2 slot, great upgreadeability when 1GB/s+ SSDs get more common and cheaper)
      That should make it possible to make a really cheap steambox if you ask me.
      To bad no one from what I have seen are doing those tests..

Comment

Originally posted by nilssab View Post
        I want to see game benchmarks using these CPUs with maybe 1-3 different discreet GPUs. It shouldn't be a bottleneck overclocked to 4.2GHz even, and considering many linux games and ports have poor multicore support anyway, the G3258 should lower the price (or power usage if moving from AMD) of decent steamboxes significantly.
        You are so right : this CPU is the "Best Entry-Level Gaming Proc" according to Tom's Hardware :

Definitely a good choice for 69? !

Comment

Hi Michael,

Why did you use Ubuntu 14.10 and all the upgraded kernels and such?

I am personally unable to get my G3258 past stock @ 3.2GHz. I believe Ubuntu is the problem....

Regards,

Comment

Using the latest development snapshot of Ubuntu and some additional ppa is made to easing the use of the latest source code, the only option for using Intel integrated graphics. I'm still not sure why Michael does not use a Manjaro instead, it uses more recent software packages, and it's really, really quick to setup (at least as fast as an Ubuntu setup). There you can also test with development versions of the software (sometimes to compile, but it's not a huge pain).

Comment

Working...
            X