X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zxy_thf
    replied
    Originally posted by dimko View Post
    The ones who gonna win are game engine developers.

Engine that supports both openGL and Mantle is gonna ripe the financial awards. Unigine for example already is able to use DX and OGL.

I guess auto detection of type of driver, like AMD + Intek vs Nvidia is possible; OGL in second case and Mantle in first one.

This is getting more interesting, now that Intel seem to be interested. If that's the case, Mantle has a chance.

IMHO indies will stick with OGL. Indies games don't milk all the juices out of hardware anyway.
    Agree, game developers may get tired of API wars and choose to use some well-supported game engine rather than developing their own.

Leave a comment:

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    As an exclusive Linux gamer, I hope Mantle fails quickly, because Mantle really hurts Linux more than anything else.
    Why do you say that? It may be the first major graphics API that we don't have to play catch-up on compared to other OSes. As of this moment, AMD could be working with their OSS driver devs to get patches ready for a Mantle Gallium state tracker (to be released with version 1.0) for all we know. And since it's an open API (and Intel has already expressed some interest), I'm sure AMD would be happy to help Intel integrate it into their classic driver.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    As an exclusive Linux gamer, I hope Mantle fails quickly, because Mantle really hurts Linux more than anything else.
    Except that it wouldn't if it comes to Linux.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    "vaporware" in conjunction with games mean "non existing"

Now explain to us, what BF4 and Thief 4 do in that "vaporware" mode? Do all computations on CPU? Lie, and use DX instead?

(Ridicule intended)
    couldn't care less since i wasn't talking about games. your ridicule simply missed the fact. i meant vaporware in so claimed "open" approach. so far i'm yet to see one thing about their so called new open standard holding any ground (not counting performance here). so, yea... vaporware

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Okay so first thing, the older AMD hardware, if I could quote Wikipedia here:
    AMD's Graphics Core Next is a RISC SIMD architecture; it replaces the elder VLIW SIMD architecture, which was present since the Radeon HD 2000 Series.
    The reason they did that had to do with limitations like not being able to make something like mantle. So I'm assuming that it doesn't have to be GCN cores, but have the same architecture or at least have something that can be compatible with it. The reason why I can see Intel wanting to do this is AMD is basically doing all the work with marketing and developing mantle. (Of course developers are working on incorporating it as well which is a huge factor in market adoption)

Unless Intel likes having to do the software/driver end on their graphics, getting it compatible with OpenGL and all that, then being compatible with Mantle makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• gufide
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    How does it not make sense? It's aparently a very low level API, much closer to the hardware then OpenGL/Direct3D which means that the code would be very architecture dependent.
    Higher level doesn't mean architecture dependent. For example, I've seen PHP scripts more dependent to a platform than some C++ code. Even if Mantle is low level, It still able have an abstraction layer. OpenGL is not low level because they implemented a lot and lot of feature and function that you can't necessarily control and bloats up the whole rendering possessing. Just take a look at OpenGL 2, it was very, very high level, but there was no way you could control how the pipeline worked.

Leave a comment:

• log0
    replied
    Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
    No. Look back at AMDs openness in HW and SW, Bullet Physics, GDDR3/4/5, Code XL, HSA and all the things that made it into DP Standard, it is more likely to get something truly open from AMD instead from Nvidia, which in the past has not really done something truly open.
    No what?

Leave a comment:

• log0
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Consoles have been using Mantle like APIs to squeeze every last drop of performance out of them since forever ago. The language that they are using isn't exactly the same as Mantle as it is even more specific as the language is made for that exact model of GPU used in the consoles who while Mantle has to work across all GCN based GPUs.
    And Java differs from C++ although both are programming languages. And you point is?

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
    No. Look back at AMDs openness in HW and SW, Bullet Physics,
    Do you looked what there happened? They got some Tools for free ... The OpenCL Code is still not done and didn't find usage in commercial games.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X