Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    "vaporware" in conjunction with games mean "non existing"

Now explain to us, what BF4 and Thief 4 do in that "vaporware" mode? Do all computations on CPU? Lie, and use DX instead?

(Ridicule intended)
    couldn't care less since i wasn't talking about games. your ridicule simply missed the fact. i meant vaporware in so claimed "open" approach. so far i'm yet to see one thing about their so called new open standard holding any ground (not counting performance here). so, yea... vaporware

Comment

As an exclusive Linux gamer, I hope Mantle fails quickly, because Mantle really hurts Linux more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        As an exclusive Linux gamer, I hope Mantle fails quickly, because Mantle really hurts Linux more than anything else.
        Except that it wouldn't if it comes to Linux.

Comment

Why do you say that? It may be the first major graphics API that we don't have to play catch-up on compared to other OSes. As of this moment, AMD could be working with their OSS driver devs to get patches ready for a Mantle Gallium state tracker (to be released with version 1.0) for all we know. And since it's an open API (and Intel has already expressed some interest), I'm sure AMD would be happy to help Intel integrate it into their classic driver.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            The ones who gonna win are game engine developers.

Engine that supports both openGL and Mantle is gonna ripe the financial awards. Unigine for example already is able to use DX and OGL.

I guess auto detection of type of driver, like AMD + Intek vs Nvidia is possible; OGL in second case and Mantle in first one.

This is getting more interesting, now that Intel seem to be interested. If that's the case, Mantle has a chance.

IMHO indies will stick with OGL. Indies games don't milk all the juices out of hardware anyway.
            Agree, game developers may get tired of API wars and choose to use some well-supported game engine rather than developing their own.

Comment

Holy mary mother of god I think I found the dumbest post of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                And another thing u always mention that it only supports GCN it supports EVERY GPU in the future, and pre-gcn in 2 years nobody cares about. So I am pretty shure nvidia will implement some similiar hardware too if their current gen is not capable of similar stuff already.
                The fact is, NVIDIA's hardware gets many key features much earlier than GCN.
                For example, virtual memory has been supported long long ago by NVIDIA, which presented only since North Island and poorly supported before GCN.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  Why do you say that? It may be the first major graphics API that we don't have to play catch-up on compared to other OSes. As of this moment, AMD could be working with their OSS driver devs to get patches ready for a Mantle Gallium state tracker (to be released with version 1.0) for all we know. And since it's an open API (and Intel has already expressed some interest), I'm sure AMD would be happy to help Intel integrate it into their classic driver.
                  Even if it comes to Linux it will still hurt it by hurting OpenGL. Until Mantle becomes available with consistent quality on all vendors including nVidia and all OSes including Mac, majority of game developers will continue to target OpenGL as their primary or only API while AMD's attention is dragging further away from OpenGL. End result? OpenGL that is not consistent across vendors and Mantle that is not available on all vendors. That would be far worse than a bloated, but consistent, single API across all platforms and vendors.

Comment

Even if it comes to Linux it will still hurt it by hurting OpenGL. Until Mantle becomes available with consistent quality on all vendors including nVidia and all OSes including Mac, majority of game developers will continue to target OpenGL as their primary or only API while AMD's attention is dragging further away from OpenGL. End result? OpenGL that is not consistent across vendors and Mantle that is not available on all vendors. That would be far worse than a bloated, but consistent, single API across all platforms and vendors.
                    The only problem with your line o tought is that OpenGL is not consistent across platforms nor across different drivers.

Since mantle is probably much easier to implement, due to being a very thin layer and not having to deal with two decades of backwards compatibility, if it can be implemented on intel/nvidia gpus drivers, specially on mesa/gallium drivers, it should be a big help for bootsing gaming on linux. Look at how long the open drivers are taking to catch up in terms of OGL compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                      The fact is, NVIDIA's hardware gets many key features much earlier than GCN.
                      For example, virtual memory has been supported long long ago by NVIDIA, which presented only since North Island and poorly supported before GCN.
                      Yes, but also AMD gets many important features earlier than Kepler and Maxwell. For example, multi-monitor (Eyefinity), DisplayPort 1.2 or DirectX 11.2 support.

I would even say that historically, it is.a wash: sometimes AMD has a feature earlier and sometimes NVidia.

majority of game developers will continue to target OpenGL as their primary or only API while AMD's attention is dragging further away from OpenGL.
                      Others addressed already why your point is moot, I will only add that Mantle does not target game developers, but instead 3D engine developers. This is a common misunderstanding.

Comment

Working...
                      X