Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Graphics 5100: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.04 Linux

Phoronix: Intel Iris Graphics 5100: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.04 Linux

Under the Linux microscope today is the Intel Iris Graphics 5100 (GT3) found on the Core i7 4558U CPU within the ASUS Zenbook UX301LA "Haswell" ultrabook. How do the Intel Iris Graphics performance compare between Windows 8.1 and the soon-to-be-released Ubuntu 14.04? We can tell you the answer today with a fresh round of multi-OS OpenGL benchmarks from this high-end Intel ultrabook.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The situation is bad. Less features than Windows driver (that's why Unigine benchs failed) and less performance.
    C'mon Intel devs, everyone is looking towards Linux. You can do better.

Comment

The screenshot in this article reminded me of how awful the Intel control panel looks on Windows these days. Just for fun, here's the evolution of the different panel design:

Intel Extreme Graphics: (older) (newer)
      Intel GMA (including PowerVR): (older) (newer)
      Intel HD Graphics (interestingly enough, they contracted a UI team to achieve this: http://skinsfactory.deviantart.com/a...ew-3-295915432 )
      Intel, uhh, Windows 8?

Sure, the HD Graphics panel didn't have theme integration and thus stood out of place, but neither does the latest panel (it opens in desktop mode, and the desktop does *not* look like Metro, this is especially evident if you use a custom skin or use this on Windows 7). The only panel that did have OS look integration was the Extreme Graphics one.

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
        The situation is bad. Less features than Windows driver (that's why Unigine benchs failed) and less performance.
        C'mon Intel devs, everyone is looking towards Linux. You can do better.
        The situation improved a lot over a year or two. Also, the OpenGL tends to work better than on Windows. No, I'm not looking towards "Linux" and I don't care about Unigine.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          The situation improved a lot over a year or two. Also, the OpenGL tends to work better than on Windows. No, I'm not looking towards "Linux" and I don't care about Unigine.
          I wouldn't call the situation good, though. These GPUs are now almost a year old (Iris Pro was out in mid summer 2013) and this chip apparently can't properly run Unigine.

Simply put, that is unacceptable for any mainstream adoption of the platform. The fact there is any delay after the product launch and feature parity with past generation parts is bad enough, but hoping that the part will run on par with last generation hardware a year after release is the kind of news that keep people thinking of Linux as a joke. Especially when you think of how this GPU hardware was shipping in what I'd consider probably the premiere Ubuntu notebook of last year - the Galago Ultrapro.

Also, the consistent 10 - 20% performance degradation against Windows indicates something more serious than "we keep running GPU cores at boot speed" or "we aren't using all the cores" or "we don't reuse buffers and keep thrashing memory". Like some fundamental driver inefficiencies we won't easily see fixed if at all.

We are *supposed* to see graphics on Linux be as fast as they can possibly be - not slower than a proprietary bloated spyware filled mess running on a 25 year old kernel architecture held together by glue and more hacks than a lumberjack in a year. We should be seeing 10 - 20% performance improvements since developers should look at the entire stack - from firmware to kernel to IPC to drivers to libraries - and be able to optimize all of it.

I guess it just takes a while to get there, is all. Yea, we started from effectively ground zero a few years ago, but we weren't on ground zero with Haswell - AMD? Yeah, SI was a huge architecture shift that reset a lot of their earlier work on r600. Nouveau? They get no help from Nvidia and do an amazing job considering they are working completely out of the know about the hardware they try to write drivers for. Intel had their major architecture shift with Ivy Bridge - though I admit they do make huge changes every GPU generation - I'd figure they'd have their new hardware adoption in order.
          Last edited by zanny; 13 March 2014, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            I wouldn't call the situation good, though. These GPUs are now almost a year old (Iris Pro was out in mid summer 2013) and this chip apparently can't properly run Unigine.
            As printed in TFA, it's a regression, they worked before.

Also, the consistent 10 - 20% performance degradation against Windows indicates something more serious than "we keep running GPU cores at boot speed" or "we aren't using all the cores" or "we don't reuse buffers and keep thrashing memory". Like some fundamental driver inefficiencies we won't easily see fixed if at all.

We are *supposed* to see graphics on Linux be as fast as they can possibly be - not slower than a proprietary bloated spyware filled mess running on a 25 year old kernel architecture held together by glue and more hacks than a lumberjack in a year. We should be seeing 10 - 20% performance improvements since developers should look at the entire stack - from firmware to kernel to IPC to drivers to libraries - and be able to optimize all of it.
            Intel's Windows team is huge. While they're constantly hiring for Linux, the Linux team is a fraction still. If you recall the article where Linux Intel beat Windows - a couple months later the Windows driver improved to close the gap, and gain some.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Intel Iris Graphics 5100: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.04 Linux

Under the Linux microscope today is the Intel Iris Graphics 5100 (GT3) found on the Core i7 4558U CPU within the ASUS Zenbook UX301LA "Haswell" ultrabook. How do the Intel Iris Graphics performance compare between Windows 8.1 and the soon-to-be-released Ubuntu 14.04? We can tell you the answer today with a fresh round of multi-OS OpenGL benchmarks from this high-end Intel ultrabook.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20005
              I'd like to see some non Debian based distros tested in this area. In particular I'm curious how well the enterprise distros are doing since they backport drm changes. I'd expect them to be both fast and far more stable (less regressions) than Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                I'd like to see some non Debian based distros tested in this area. In particular I'm curious how well the enterprise distros are doing since they backport drm changes. I'd expect them to be both fast and far more stable (less regressions) than Ubuntu.
                lol? If using EL6 stable packages or even Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS you'd be even worse off with Haswell/Iris Graphics performance / compatibility...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

linux and intel engineers have to work hard... to compete with microsoft. They have to remove quickly xorg replacing it by wayland graphic server (which is much more light) and pointing on hardware acceleration both video and audio.
                  Common users are unsatisfied by widows 8/8.1 because of metro on desktops; this is an opportunity to issue an excellent reliable and performing linux operating system.
                  I have still problems on getting a valid corresponding of a simple program as paint which makes easy operations in easy way (as resizing on cutting picture), it's absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    I have still problems on getting a valid corresponding of a simple program as paint which makes easy operations in easy way (as resizing on cutting picture), it's absurd.
                    Gwenview and KolourPaint work just fine for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X