Ubuntu Now Often Leads Windows 7 On Intel SNB Graphics Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    You're confusing him with me, the troll guy. I guess we can say Metro:LL isn't a complete broken mess. I should try it and see for myself. If I can make it through, say, an hour gaming session without ten crashes, I will mark that down as a success story. Does it work on AMD cards yet?
    I play several games in Steam using Linux, of course, without any problems.
    Others that has some problems, the developers updates the game with some regularity.
    There are crashdumps sent to Steam everytime a game crashes.

The good part of this?? I'm using exclusively opensource driver (radeonsi).
    The games are mostly tested with the proprietary blobs.
    Working with FOSS drivers is a great thing.

About the hour without a crash, I play several games without crashes for more than one hour.
    It starts to become uncommon a game crash in Linux.
    I should have a better experience maybe because I'm using a constantly updated driver stack.
    I don't know what you use, but several distributions has old driver stacks.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Now the only thing I'm really saying is that we really don't know how game performance in Windows compares to, say, Ubuntu or whatever. All of these "benchmarks" we have so far are kind of crap and aren't representative of real-world PC gaming. Yes, OpenGL performance is just as awful in Windows as it is in Ubuntu. I guess the only thing we really do know for sure is that DEs like Unity and GNOME Shell are unbelievably bloated piles of unmitigated trainwreck-level disastrous catastrophes compared to, say, decades-old Windows 7 Aero. How much that impacts game performance is hard to say... except for those rare (i.e., 100% reproducible) cases where Unity hogs half of my VRAM and crashes my games.*

(* but I'm not bitter)
    The Unigine demos are very representative of modern games IMHO.
    About the DEs using the OpenGL stack and impacting the game performance, I agree with you. They shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      Just tell me where to look! Is there any specific numbers, how many developers there are in windos driver team?
      I'm guessing but everytime it has hundreds of developers.
      That's the reason that proprietary drivers are supporting OpenGL 4.4.
      They have manpower to do the job.

FOSS drivers has the advantage of having a cleaner and better reused code.

Comment

Windows 7 is still a lot faster in game sthan linux. From this little "testing" you can only say that opengl sucks, that it doesnt receive much attention from drivers devs in windows, because there is much better directx, and that xonotic devs have no idea ho to make games in directx. I followed opengl 2.x performance with intel graphics, and its same shit for a few years, performance in games did not change a bit, as it was a lot slower than in windows, and still is.
        Last edited by startzz; 30 January 2014, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X