No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Now Often Leads Windows 7 On Intel SNB Graphics Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yayks, linux leads on one 1000 years old game that no one knows and no one plays, good job.

Comment

What about Unigine Tropics?? Is it a ultra obsolete benchmark??
      I doubt that Windows would win with other games.

This is great news!!! Congratulations to Intel developers.
      It shows the power of FOSS. It is really better than closed software.

Look at how many developers Intel spends optimizing the Windows drivers.
      Compare with the efforts for Linux drivers.
      With a team far (far... far...) smaller, they achieve a (way) better result.

The people sees Windows as the state-of-the-art in optimized drivers, but this benchmark shows that the Windows platform suffers serious performance problems.

Comment

Originally posted by rgfernandes View Post
        The people sees Windows as the state-of-the-art in optimized drivers, but this benchmark shows that the Windows platform suffers serious performance problems.
        Let's not get carried away here.

Show me a modern game on a modern Direct3D version on Windows pitted against the same game in OpenGL on Linux and then we can draw accurate conclusions about which performs better.

Heck... just show me a modern game on Linux that isn't a complete broken mess. That would be a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Heck... just show me a modern game on Linux that isn't a complete broken mess. That would be a good start.
          Metro: Last Light?? Dota 2??
          You ask for one. I gave 2 without think too much.
          After the Steam be committed to Linux, triple A games start to come to Linux.
          And I didn't talk about great FOSS games in Linux. Xonotic is one of them. Urban Terror. Tremulous. And the list goes on...

Let's not get carried away here.

Show me a modern game on a modern Direct3D version on Windows pitted against the same game in OpenGL on Linux and then we can draw accurate conclusions about which performs better.
          Well, maybe this type of comparative will appear now.
          And you have to take it with some caution.

Direct3D is a high specific and optimized (for that specific) API for one platform only (xbox is MS too).
          OpenGL is a generic API to be crossplatform with all problems it has.

But I agree with you. I want to look this type of comparative.

One more thing to think about.
          The games, as Windows is yet the PC platform to gamers, are exaustively optimized for ... Windows.
          They make a second citizen version for Linux.
          Will be great to see this second citizen being faster.

Comment

*Sight*

You need TWO D**** YEARS to produce native Linux game.

Ofc. there wont be many AAA titles on linux (that work equally well on different platforms) for 2-3y AFTER Steam for Linux debuted.

Its just impossible, like in breaking-laws-of-phisics-impossible.

And be damned some more for not couting CKII ammong AAA titles :P

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              *Sight*

You need TWO D**** YEARS to produce native Linux game.

Ofc. there wont be many AAA titles on linux (that work equally well on different platforms) for 2-3y AFTER Steam for Linux debuted.

Its just impossible, like in breaking-laws-of-phisics-impossible.

And be damned some more for not couting CKII ammong AAA titles :P
              It is good to see that instantly we are having higher expectations.

You only asked for one title that "isn't a complete broken mess".

Now you are complaining that a game in Linux is hard to develop as is in any other platform in existence.

I'm not saying that Linux is became the platform of choice for gamers (but it seems to be inevitable).

I only say that a well developed driver in Linux is better than a super-ultra-well-developed-with-tons-of-developers-and-most-of-the-money-in driver in Windows.

Only just that. :-)

Comment

It is good to see that instantly we are having higher expectations.

You only asked for one title that "isn't a complete broken mess".

Now you are complaining that a game in Linux is hard to develop as is in any other platform in existence.

I'm not saying that Linux is became the platform of choice for gamers (but it seems to be inevitable).

I only say that a well developed driver in Linux is better than a super-ultra-well-developed-with-tons-of-developers-and-most-of-the-money-in driver in Windows.

Only just that. :-)
                You're confusing him with me, the troll guy. I guess we can say Metro:LL isn't a complete broken mess. I should try it and see for myself. If I can make it through, say, an hour gaming session without ten crashes, I will mark that down as a success story. Does it work on AMD cards yet?

Now the only thing I'm really saying is that we really don't know how game performance in Windows compares to, say, Ubuntu or whatever. All of these "benchmarks" we have so far are kind of crap and aren't representative of real-world PC gaming. Yes, OpenGL performance is just as awful in Windows as it is in Ubuntu. I guess the only thing we really do know for sure is that DEs like Unity and GNOME Shell are unbelievably bloated piles of unmitigated trainwreck-level disastrous catastrophes compared to, say, decades-old Windows 7 Aero. How much that impacts game performance is hard to say... except for those rare (i.e., 100% reproducible) cases where Unity hogs half of my VRAM and crashes my games.*

(* but I'm not bitter)

Comment

Look at how many developers Intel spends optimizing the Windows drivers.
                  Compare with the efforts for Linux drivers.
                  With a team far (far... far...) smaller, they achieve a (way) better result.
                  Just tell me where to look! Is there any specific numbers, how many developers there are in windos driver team?

Comment

decades-old Windows 7 Aero.
                    Areo isn't that old. You're thinking of X.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Areo isn't that old. You're thinking of X.
                      It will be 0.7 decades old tomorrow
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X