Intel Starts On Mesa Compute Shaders Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    What is the reason to implement CS ( GL 4.3 fature ), when tessalation and other type of shaders still missing from Mesa's GL 4.0?
    According to one of the presentatons at the end of the year, there are two main reasons: (1) The asked third-party developers which extensions they most wanted (extensons are "capabilities" so you don't always need to wait for the entirety GL4.3 to be completed to use them) and (2) They can't allocate absolutely everyone to same bit GLSL code missing in GL 4.0 - they start getting in each other's way, and the skill-sets don't necessarily match up.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      What is the reason to implement CS ( GL 4.3 fature ), when tessalation and other type of shaders still missing from Mesa's GL 4.0?
      For ogl|es 4, is my guess.

Also, why not?
      Last edited by liam; 10 January 2014, 09:25 PM. Reason: Should've read the intermediate posts:)

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        For ogl|es 4, is my guess.

Also, why not?
        There's a reason es4 includes compute shaders and not tess or geometry shaders. It's because they're being used by a lot of people, and generally considered very useful. Almost no one bothers trying to use tesselation shaders, and even geometry shaders aren't extremely widespread even though they've been around for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          There's a reason es4 includes compute shaders and not tess or geometry shaders. It's because they're being used by a lot of people, and generally considered very useful. Almost no one bothers trying to use tesselation shaders, and even geometry shaders aren't extremely widespread even though they've been around for a long time.
          Not true, and not true.

Tesselation and geometry are used. Esspecially in games (which generaly driver requirements for 3D anyway).

But... both are quite power hungry hw. And that's why nobody on mobile would be willing to use it (hence lack of them in OpenGL ES 3.0).

Do not know how geo, tessel and compute compare. But since all major mobile GPU's already support OpenCL, I guess that it wont be too hard to support Compute. (While geo and tessel may still require some extra hw/power)

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            Not true, and not true.

Tesselation and geometry are used. Esspecially in games (which generaly driver requirements for 3D anyway).
            How about some examples of games that use tesselation? Unigine Heaven is a tech demo and doesn't count.

I'll grant you are mostly correct about geo shaders. Mobile GPUs aren't really fast enough for them to make sense there, given the low power requirements in that market.

But even when they are used in games, they are mostly used as a minor optional addition, rather than something the engine really takes advantage of. Look at the games that have been ported to linux so far - Metro doesn't use them. Source engine games don't use them.

There's a lot of engines that do want to use compute shaders. Much, much more than tesselation, which is often more of a checkbox feature just so an engine can list it as a possibility and say they support DX11 features.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 11 January 2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

inb4 Crysis and its tesselated underground sea.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                I don't think a Mesa with working radeon opencl would be a huge profit center for AMD.

I mean a full foss compute stack with beefy hardware like AMD cards would be amazing, but I don't know if the server industry would eat it up.
                Isn't AMD moving away from discrete GPUs and towards an all-APU lineup, even for servers? If so, OpenCL is pretty important in making that work.

Comment

Working...
                X